Differances b/w early and late model R25 manual gearboxes

Haakon

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Alright, I've been told that the earlier manual boxes were stronger (which seems odd, because surley the later more refined unit would be better?). What sort of differances are involved, and if I have the weaker one (ie a late one), how much weaker is it, and where?

Not heard that one before, but I have heard of the seemingly usual Renault five speed bogie of broken crown wheels and pinions in the AUS spec 25 UN1 five speed.

I have been tols by Renault mechanics etc that the UN1 is a much stronger box, as it was used also in the R25V6 Turbo and V6i.

The later manual NG3 is a derivative from the Fuego 'box and although may be a great box, doesn't take the torque and I have heard that the synchros aren't as strong. Also it is cable operated clutch compared to the hydraulic clutch on the UN1.

That is mainly the reason I hunted down a UN1. I will let you all know how it feels as soon as I get the car back - hopefully early to mid next week.

That my bit!

LukeCass:
I have been tols by Renault mechanics etc that the UN1 is a much stronger box, as it was used also in the R25V6 Turbo and V6i.

The later manual NG3 is a derivative from the Fuego 'box and although may be a great box, doesn't take the torque and I have heard that the synchros aren't as strong. Also it is cable operated clutch compared to the hydraulic clutch on the UN1.

That is mainly the reason I hunted down a UN1. I will let you all know how it feels as soon as I get the car back - hopefully early to mid next week.

That my bit!
Who is doing the work on it Luke?

cheers!

Now I'm a bit confused... Was looking at Haynes manual for the R25, and it says that the UN1 is the later 'box, and it has only 4 sun gears in the diff to the "earlier" NG's 6 :confused:
It says the NG was only fitted to the carby 2 litre base model (but it also says the only cable clutch was on this model) Does this mean we poor aussies got a cheapened varient of the series 2, with an old spec box in it?

The UN1 was used in the AUS spec 2.2 litre 21's and 25's. It is a higher spec and later design than the NG series. NG3's had four spider gears, which is the max number of spider gears for a NG or UN gearbox, so I don't know where the 6 spider gear quote comes from. Think of it this way, the NG3 series was the ultimate design for the four cylinder motors. The UN1 version in a 25 would be the "weakest" in the family of gearboxes used up to the Alpine A610, and still in current use on the Lotus Esprit.

My thoughts are that the UN1 is a better gearbox to use than the NG3, although I have heard of diff failures in both versions, again it all comes down to use, abuse and maintenance.

I got the 6 spider gear thing simply by looking at the diff in the pictures...
Its a bit moot mind you, I have a gearbox (whatever it is :D ) and its the one I will be using. It does drive very nicely, with a smoother feel to the synchros then a Fuego box'. It has no noises and does everything its supposed to, so I will simply not thrash it and feed it some nice synthetic oil and all should be fine.