Diesel swap out

504mepham

Tadpole
Any one swapped out a 2.3 Diesel for a Petrol motor in a 504 1983 saloon, what did you put in and what mods did you need to do to make it bolt up

No-one will have done anything with a 1983 504 in Australia. The last of them for us was 1980. Any after that would be private imports.

I don't know much about what you are asking, many others here would be far more qualified, but logic says that for a start it would have a different fuel tank and lines, and the electrics would be somewhat different too.

I am wondering if such a conversion would be found in Argentina?

This question was often looked at in the 1980's due to the absurd price of parts for the diesel engine. The cost of a total engine rebuild equalled the value of a four year old car. Some were fitted with 504 petrol engines but this required rewiring.

Would be a major project :(
Need to check weight of petrol and diesel engine.
Then change front springs to suit, brake booster, different for petrol
Let alone exhaust changes and fuel lines as previous posts.
Suggest make a list and work out everything you need

Would be a major project :(
Need to check weight of petrol and diesel engine.
Then change front springs to suit, brake booster, different for petrol
Let alone exhaust changes and fuel lines as previous posts.
Suggest make a list and work out everything you need

I'm thinking that the diff ratio will be higher in the diesel than in the petrol but I'm guessing........

I remember a few figures from around 1984. A 504 diesel was worth $7-8000 tops. A full rebuild of a badly cooked engine was on the high side of $7000. A change over to petrol was in the $2000 to $3000 range. Once the engine was worn out or damaged the car was nearly worthless. A new bare block was $3000 and pistons $500 each. I got an owner out of it for $5000 by buying him a new short motor off the back of a truck (literally).

Thanks hopefully only damaged head gasket. Didn’t run for long after the guage started to climb. The plastic radiator bottle was brittle and had a few small cracks so lost water really slowly. It’s pumping water out now when you go to start it so hoping only the gasket. Motor is in great condition.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs