diagnostic socket on XN1A

nJm

Guru
1000+ Posts
I was poking around my engine bay and found an electrical socket hanging loose off some wires behind the engine. It looks like a computer diagnostic socket. Does the XN1A have an onboard computer? What can you do with it? I found it as when the last person had reattached the rocker cover they had got one of this socket's wires stuck in it, so it was half hanging out of the engine itself!

nJm:
I was poking around my engine bay and found an electrical socket hanging loose off some wires behind the engine. It looks like a computer diagnostic socket. Does the XN1A have an onboard computer? What can you do with it?
Sounds like the connector for the STI engine wiring.

Dave

All the pushrod motors have these sockets and from memeory I think they are connected to a flywheel sensor mounted to one of the bell housing cover plates.

Graham Wallis

GRAHAM WALLIS:
All the pushrod motors have these sockets and from memeory I think they are connected to a flywheel sensor mounted to one of the bell housing cover plates.

Graham Wallis
Graham,

I know the sensor you mean, but the ones I've seen have the wires cut. What's the sensor for?

Dave

...timing no doubt...

There must be a magnet in the flywheel or something. You'll note that the cover plate that has the sensor mounted in it also has a dowel so that it is properly located.

This dowel isn't present in earlier model cover plates.

the sensor you are looking for is generally on the lower cover plate and as per normal these plates tend to be forgotton about when a car goes back together
604's has this as well
and the timing hole to stick you stick down to time a 604 is under the inlet or right behind it
in other words it's a pain in the coit to get to :D

Ray Bell:
...timing no doubt....
Yes, but to what end? If these cars had EFI or electronic ignition I could see a use, but they don't.

I guess it might be for the electronic ignition system which some overseas models had, which were sold at the same time, hence they standardised the plate and sensor, but does anyone know for sure?

Dave

I'm pretty sure its for use with the dealers diagnostic equipment, my 205 also has one which is connected to nothing.

when the 604 was released in this country they had the diag plug on them
it was to analyse any problems in the running of the car via different sensors
the thing was for the time they were on sale out here there was only a single machine in the country that they could plug into to utilise this feature
it wasn't untill much later into the 80's when the 205's starting running around and thin into the 90's where more dealers got the machines to use on the cars did the diag plugs ever get used

so basically they are worthless on anything built before say the late 80's
and really what would you need a diag plug on say a carby 505 for anyway ???
wether any dealers have a machine still lying around to test something like a 505 i have no idea

this idea of having the 604's here without the adequate tools to service them i think may have led to these cars failing to create a lot of interest
the same thing happened to the jeep cherokee of the same era for those that remember those tanks
when they were released here the average number of faults per vehicle coming in for a first service was something like 17 foolscap pages

Originally posted by pugrambo
<strong>.....this idea of having the 604's here without the adequate tools to service them i think may have led to these cars failing to create a lot of interest.....
Hardly!

They were marketed against BMW 528is and the like, it wasn't anything to do with the cars... rather the image of that price bracket.

What buyers would have known anyway?

the reviews of 604's when they released weren't too bad
they got the bad name further down the track due to bad servicing and not running the way they should have been
all the articles i ever read about them in 77,78 when they were released sounded promissing but as we all know 604's were classed as lemons down the track
part of it was due to the crap carby setup and the ridiculous amount of pollution gear they stuck on them
they were marketed against the higher end of the market and may have made it if the cars that were released here had a little more planning behind them and offered things like leather and sunroof's as an option but these things didn't make the car not run the way it should have done
they needed a more sensible intake system instead of the twin solex setup and they didn't need everything relying on vacuum
also if people were trained right in the first place in how to service them they would have stood a better chance
you only need to look at the majority of people who bought them
they were lease hold to professional people who did like driving them when they were running properly but were soon soured by them when they either wouldn't start or run like a hairy goat