Deep sigh.....

Haakon

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Renault Fuego
1.6 Turbo, classic car, A reg, red, 60,000 miles, tax & MOT, PAS, needs slight bodywork attention, very economical, runs very well, alloy wheels, no stereo, cheap insurance,

Ad age: 10 days old

Price: £300 or near offer.

Contact details: 020-8755 1494

my dad is living in London atm.. wonder how much it would cost him to bring something like that back with him?

... but not half as much as the Camira wheels you can probably pick up at a Holden wreckers. :p

I was looking for freight options from the UK a while ago (when I was thinking about importing a R21TXI head&manifolds) and it wasn't quite as expensive as I expected, but not too cheap either. You can request quotes onnline from a lot of carriers, just make sure you get insurance if it's "roll-on-roll-off" so it doesn't get dented, or rent a whole shipping container ($$$).

It'd probably be worth sourcing a second engine and chucking it in the hatch if it'd fit, so you had some spares...

hmmm... maybe its worth pitching in for a car and putting as many engines in it as we can fit.. and divide the costs..

What carriers did you try?

PS.. I am serious..

I would ideally source a shabby A110 (seen them going cheap) and put a fuego turbo engine in the back.. (if it would fit)... second thoughts, an A110 wouldnt fit much else in it would it?

maybe its worth pitching in for a car and putting as many engines in it as we can fit.. and divide the costs..
Mmm... It wouldn't exactly be a truckload of gear if you had to fit it in a car (esp. a Fuego or an A110.)

IMHO if you wanted to do something like this you'd be better off hiring a shipping crate. You get the crate for a few days, load it yourself (or have whoever your contact in the UK is load it) then ship it over. This has been discussed before.

The R21 Turbo board is full of people wanting to get rid of R21 Turbo gear, cheap (just a thought.)

There was also a 405 in Japan on eBay going for a song (I forget where I saw the link to it, probably on this board.) I don't know what other French cars are over there, but their old car laws (designed to stimulate their car industry) make buying cars from Japan a good option. Shipping from there is cheaper, too.

What carriers did you try?
]

I didn't do any off-line research because I decided I was wasting my time (I'm going to Indonesia for a year come January so I'll put off any crazy car schemes until after I get back.)

I have a link at home (I'm at uni right now) for the cheapest small cargo (ie per-cubic-metre) people I could find, but that's not what you'd want for a car or a full crate (you get much better rates the less packing is required on the part of the carrier.)