Decisions, decisions

Zenimagination

Fellow Frogger
Well, bambino number 4 is now officially on the way and so I have t make a choice between saying goodbye to either the 205 or the 404 and getting a peoplemover of some description.

On one hand I adore the 404. It's a good size car for me (6'5"), it's comfortable and it drives nicely but it leaks (windscreen and/or vents), the heater doesn't work and there's no carpet or radio.

On the other, the 205 is a little rocket, has just had a couple of grand thrown at it at Colliers to get the A/C fixed, etc but is a little tight for headroom and doesn't make for a good second family car when it comes time to pick up teenagers from school.

So what do you think?

Hearty debate encouraged. It at least gives me an excuse to delay the inevitable :)

Well, bambino number 4 is now officially on the way and so I have t make a choice between saying goodbye to either the 205 or the 404 and getting a peoplemover of some description.

On one hand I adore the 404. It's a good size car for me (6'5"), it's comfortable and it drives nicely but it leaks (windscreen and/or vents), the heater doesn't work and there's no carpet or radio.

On the other, the 205 is a little rocket, has just had a couple of grand thrown at it at Colliers to get the A/C fixed, etc but is a little tight for headroom and doesn't make for a good second family car when it comes time to pick up teenagers from school.

So what do you think?

Hearty debate encouraged. It at least gives me an excuse to delay the inevitable :)

teenagers are old enough to hoof it :roflmao:

i am facing something similar except he's already arrived

so here i have a 604 that seated the 3 kids quite well in the back but now no room for the fourth

thoughts of telling the eldest to start hoofing have crossed my mind and damn she's old enough to go and get her L's but probably not a good thing for other road users :D

a wagon is something that keeps coming to mind but as we don't often go out of town i have time to think

Well, this doesn't take into account that the VW Passat, which is an '02 model, is planned to be replaced next May with a 7 seater or larger. The one I get now is to be the second car for when we want to transport just five.

So do you want to swap the 604?? :D

I had thought about a Scenic as they seem to be a useful utility vehicle. Plenty of room for younger teenagers and some room for gear when I go on Scouting weekends, etc but without going for a proper 4WD.

505 Wagon. 'Nuff said.

Yeah, tried that but SWMBO said she wants something "modern" this time so I'm kind of stuck with something 21st century.

Doesn't stop me having very fond memories of the 604 when it first came out...

And the Renault 16....

And the 504....

And the Virage.....

Will this sickness ever be cured?

Yeah, tried that but SWMBO said she wants something "modern" this time so I'm kind of stuck with something 21st century.

Doesn't stop me having very fond memories of the 604 when it first came out...

And the Renault 16....

And the 504....

And the Virage.....

Will this sickness ever be cured?

the answer to being cured

no

the answer to swapping the 604

hmmmmmmm

no :D

406 7 seat wagon?

trouble with the 406 wagon is that was never designed to be a passenger wagon unlike the 504/505

all the seats in a 504/505 face forward and the roof is raised towards the rear to allow better seating positions

if a 406 wagon was designed along the same lines it would be OK but to me it's no better than the crappy dicky seat arrangement ala fowlcan/ovlov

Well, this doesn't take into account that the VW Passat, which is an '02 model, is planned to be replaced next May with a 7 seater or larger. The one I get now is to be the second car for when we want to transport just five.

I had thought about a Scenic as they seem to be a useful utility vehicle. Plenty of room for younger teenagers and some room for gear when I go on Scouting weekends, etc but without going for a proper 4WD.
Scenic Mk 2's come in 5 or 7 seats - there's also the C4 Picassio.

Some pics to help the decision making...

Attachments

• IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 179

The 205 fits 5 adults in my experience, so just keep both!

Scenic Mk 2's come in 5 or 7 seats - there's also the C4 Picassio.

Check out the C4 Picasso - interior is amazingly well designed with 5 fold down seats in the back, side airbags, abs esp etc. It was released in 2007 so I would expect quite a few to be coming out of lease. Get the diesel with moon roof and leather seats if you can. The Scenic feels old and small in comparison.

If you're thinking other brands go for something safe and well designed.

BTW we have 4 kids bw 11 and 1.1 - happy to share benefits of my research into 7 seaters if you want.

hehe, don't be to hasty to dismiss them man!

Neighbours is something like this http://www.aussiemotoring.com/pics/Skoda/skoda-octavia-wagon-rear.jpg
looks really well built! (unlike my dad's 307, which has bits falling off it constantly...)

Monsieur 405

Wife and I checked out an Octavia wagon on the assumption that they'd have a useful discount on the golf wagon whilst being essentially the same thing. Nope, identical rrp although the skoda has slighty more standard equipment. I'd rather have the golf's depreciation. The Octavia sedan has the hatch boot with almost as much room as the wagon but usefully cheaper. I was pleasantly surprised by the 308 wagon's thoughtfullness and attention to practical detail over the others but not by the price and the mondeo wagon was truly huge inside.

In the end we'll stick with the gtdt, fuel economy is near enough to the modern diesels, it's a lot cheaper to service and insure and I'd bet the reliabilty of a mechanically injected diesel over anything else on the road any day. If my wife didn't hate how 505s look I'd be hunting for a wagon right now for the impending arrival of 2 workshop helpers.