DecidedlySpecial reformation.

Yes indeed, excellent product. Look also at the replacement glass, they do a mildly convex unit which I have fitted to mine.

Check very carefully though as there are a number of different sizes fitted to various DS

v cool excellent work- so many many hours. congrats- the first drive is the best and try to go past as many shop windows as possible and look to the reflections as the rolling art floats by.

But for heaven's sake don't be distracted and scratch the duco now!:mad:

SF

Yes indeed, excellent product. Look also at the replacement glass, they do a mildly convex unit which I have fitted to mine.

Check very carefully though as there are a number of different sizes fitted to various DS

Thanks Michael... yes I've checked the size, I have the CIPA 54s. Did you have any drama removing the old glass?

Cheers

Matthew :)

No problem removing the old glass as the edge trim just crumbled. Getting the new glass in is not so easy, you have to hold your tongue just right.

Matthew, Loving your work, inspirational.

A couple of questions
You mention hog rings. Did these come with your upholstery covers or did you re-use the old ones?
Failing that can you buy sets of these?
And what tool did you use to apply them?

SF.

Matthew, Loving your work, inspirational.

A couple of questions
You mention hog rings. Did these come with your upholstery covers or did you re-use the old ones?
Failing that can you buy sets of these?
And what tool did you use to apply them?

SF.

Hello

impossible to reuse old ones. Yes you can buy them online. I think a batch of them came with the covers... actually I don't need them if you would like them... let me know.

You will need hog ring pliers for the job.

HOG Ring Plier KIT Includes 150 Hogring Upholstery Trim Seats Fencing Wire Fence | eBay

Greetings people...

Back in mud for a bit... I decided to do the front bumper bar. Here's the story... when I bought the car I noticed the middle nose piece was too short for the blades..see below

w6pj06D.jpg

I learnt much later that the British version has a cut out in the blades to give more clearance for the number plate, hence the shorter nose piece. My car I assume had been in a crash and had the bumper bars replaced with the other type.

Anyway, I picked up some second hand ones from UK Ebay and tarted them up today to "resinstate"the correct type for my car.

Apart from hitting them with the polishing wheel, I also had to pilfer the end mounting plates from the old bars to weld into the UK bars as they had rotted out completely.

KI2babi.jpg

Putting it all back together was fun..not! I realised that removing all the vent pieces with the bars was easier, as was assembling the lot before mounting it back on the car...don't ask!

JEHOdUB.jpg

So here it is back in place... you can see the cut out for the number plate and the nose piece looking as it should now. Yay! The shorter top piece is also NOS, I didn't realise how bent the old one was until I took these pics.

P31k8TW.jpg

Last edited:
i just whacked the bumper back on mine this afternoon, the only way to remove bumpers is as you say take the whole shebang off. 8 bolts. the over riders are a pain though I found, can't even remember tearing them off two years ago.

Yes.. I managed to get it off with fenders in place, just lazy. I removed the lot to put it all back. The two studs at each end of the short top piece must pass through the lower bumper bars and then through the mounting point on the chassis. So if anyone is doing it, leave those two nuts till after the whole assembly is in place. Reaching in to secure the overider nuts is a pain.. long fingers help.

RzOyXA8.jpg

Hello all

back in mud... I have a set of sombrero hubcaps I have had in storage for some time, they did make them for the later rim size for a short period. I had a quote on restoring them a while back, came in at $1200! Three of them are in pretty good condition, one of them is a bit dented. I decided to hit one with my polishing wheel today...

5iyxU55.png

Here it is on the car. I was in two minds about using them, but my other half pointed out the ribbing on the side strips matched the ribbing on the hubcap... a "no brainer".

So, bugger it, I'll polish up the rest and whack them on... just waiting on some new little rubber grommets. Like all my other second hand bling they have their own little nicks and dings which I can live with.

HSf8RFn.png

I was in two minds about using them, but my other half pointed out the ribbing on the side strips matched the ribbing on the hubcap... a "no brainer".

All I can say is, "if you've got it flaunt it" - DecidedlySpecial is looking right perdy :cool:

Cheers
Chris

They look pretty good just receiving the polishing wheel treatment... Versus $1200 spent... I would think that can be put to better use elsewhere. Hubcaps are one thing I still need to do - just ran out of puff last weekend after being covered in crap most of the time polishing the rear bumper and associated bits :(....

And imagine spending the cash on getting someone else to do it... And then pick up some kerb rash... DOH! $300 wasted! :cry:

Greetings all

I accomplished a wee job today I've been looking forward to for a while... the replacement of the B and C pillar trim. So, purists avert thine eyes. Here is the condition of the C pillars with the old trim removed..no rust in sight thank goodness.

Z7XkVpn.jpg

I've replaced the bulb holders with NOS units, and also the bracket with the captive nut. The left one was fine but the right screw was rusted, which I removed with my trusty gripping tool thing.

Fast forward here's the replacement panel with the DecidedlySpecial's now only designation.

Wkbeiph.jpg

These were second hand panels which I had "reanodised". Actually they just removed the top clear layer and redid that..so the brushed look remains. Little scratches and wear marks remain but it looks appropriate for the age of the car.

turning DecidedlySpecial into a bit of a franken D Matthew. But you have great taste so I approve, and think she is looking swell.
cheers Tony

turning DecidedlySpecial into a bit of a franken D Matthew. But you have great taste so I approve, and think she is looking swell.
cheers Tony

I prefer "mongrel"... lol.