DecidedlySpecial reformation.

Purists look away! :spy:

kJfchTP.png

KI9wOE9.png

Matthew :tongue:

Purists look away! :spy:

Matthew :tongue:

Pure elegance, luxury, love it. . . :headbang:

Your car is going to be so different to drive, with all that extra padding and sound absorption, DeeLightful!! :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

OK brains trust..a question. I was manoeuvring the car the other day and the bonnet cable on the left caught on the steering rack arm... pulling the cable out of the toggle?? at the bonnet catch end. Cable is ok but a tad frayed.

There re is a clamp on the front guard that secures the cable in its plastic sleeve, in place. In this position you can see where it passes above the steering joint.

VWgtIXu.png

7UqQL6z.png

This has never happened before. If I don't secure the cable in the clamp it passes higher above the steering arm. Does it have to be in the clamp? Anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

Matthew :(

OK brains trust..a question. I was manoeuvring the car the other day and the bonnet cable on the left caught on the steering rack arm... pulling the cable out of the toggle?? at the bonnet catch end. Cable is ok but a tad frayed.

There re is a clamp on the front guard that secures the cable in its plastic sleeve, in place. In this position you can see where it passes above the steering joint.

This has never happened before. If I don't secure the cable in the clamp it passes higher above the steering arm. Does it have to be in the clamp? Anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

Matthew :(

Hi Matthew,

Not had this happen in my experience. . .

I can see how your cable would be a problem as it is, it looks a little loose? Did you remove it to fit the front side carpet over the bonnet release? I would try putting a little more tension on the cable, and/or try turning the clamp 180 degrees to lift the cable a little? At worst use a cable tie loosely to secure the cable above the steering knuckle?

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris... It is odd... it seems to be turning OK now, with the car up on stands. I think I might use a tie as you suggest. I can't rotate the clamp, it doesn't sit against the fender 180deg up.

My cousin came up for lunch again today.. here's a shot she took with a real camera. Remember the reflections pic she took last time? She won! They published it on the cover of her class mag. Cool.

4Ww1JI5.png

Matthew :)

Hi Matthew,

Not had this happen in my experience. . .

I can see how your cable would be a problem as it is, it looks a little loose? Did you remove it to fit the front side carpet over the bonnet release? I would try putting a little more tension on the cable, and/or try turning the clamp 180 degrees to lift the cable a little? At worst use a cable tie loosely to secure the cable above the steering knuckle?

Cheers
Chris

I take that back Chris... I rotated the clamp and it's ok now... lifted the cable to give plenty of clearance.

I take that back Chris... I rotated the clamp and it's ok now... lifted the cable to give plenty of clearance.

I thought so Matthew but couldn't check on my car because those parts are not fitted - but 648 shows the clamp #23 is orientated such. . .

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• DS Bonnet release clamp.JPG
    DS Bonnet release clamp.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 938
I thought so Matthew but couldn't check on my car because those parts are not fitted - but 648 shows the clamp #23 is orientated such. . .

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Honestly Chris... you're wasted here! Thanks for that. I'm probably losing my mind with all the fumes I've inhaled... I can't remember which way it was oriented before now?

Meanwhile... I fitted the seat belts today, plus a little bit more bling that I will probably never look at again..lol! Plenty of clearance for the foam and carpet at this height.

G8G9HMv.png

A few moments in the open air at dusk... 5 degrees here today! Interior complete, buff and polish done. Still to do but perhaps another time... the side strips, front valance, front bumper bar, B and C pillar trim.

Sitting in on the front seat was an experience... I almost didn't fit under the steering wheel! lol... it'll compress soon enough I guess. The camera on this iPhone is hopeless so sorry for the poor quality.

fKLYPwK.png

dYqE3FG.png

Wc2fCr8.png

rZg3jb5.png

ZB1V153.png

It's certainly come a long way since I took ownership... here's the original advertisement pic. I thought I was buying a brown car!

ix4Mr4E.png

Matthew

Last edited:
v cool excellent work- so many many hours. congrats- the first drive is the best and try to go past as many shop windows as possible and look to the reflections as the rolling art floats by.

Looks splendid Matthew. Very red. I think you got the colour combo just right even though I think it would look just as good with a black roof. You must be pleased, particularly as i remember you drooling over similar looking cars you posted pics of on the DS appreciation page (book). I look forward to meeting you and your car one day.
cheers Tony

A few moments in the open air at dusk... 5 degrees here today! Interior complete, buff and polish done. Still to do but perhaps another time... the side strips, front valance, front bumper bar, B and C pillar trim.

Sitting in on the front seat was an experience... I almost didn't fit under the steering wheel! lol... it'll compress soon enough I guess. The camera on this iPhone is hopeless so sorry for the poor quality.

fKLYPwK.png

dYqE3FG.png

Wc2fCr8.png

rZg3jb5.png

ZB1V153.png

It's certainly come a long way since I took ownership... here's the original advertisement pic. I thought I was buying a brown car!

ix4Mr4E.png

Matthew

Better then new and all hand made, Brilliant

Thank you all for your kind words... always appreciated. :).

Last day today then back to the grind tomorrow. Here's what a new DS interior looks like unpacked.

EDJpqz6.png

And I bit the bullet today and stuck the side strips on... I had to gently bend the rear strips to fit the curve of the rear guard better. Whether or not the 3M tape will be enough to hold it remains to be seen. It definitely needed the strips though. The Cornaline is gorgeous to look at but it is "full on" if that's the right word. The strips break it up a bit and catch your eye.

LxeHMgb.png

I'm losing light so I'll take a better pic tomorrow. Overall I'm thrilled with the result and I've learnt a lot by way of making mistakes. It will be interesting to see how she holds up over the coming months/years. Anyway, still plenty to do... another time.

Matthew. :)

Last edited:
Perfect day for an outing... perhaps I'll be a fair weather driver...

itYgw3W.jpg

Matthew

Perfect day for an outing... perhaps I'll be a fair weather driver...

Matthew

Unbelievable transformation in a relatively short space of time, I'm really thrilled for you. DecidedlySpecial looks absolutely superb!!!
Interested in your impression of the driving experience, softer, quieter etc.??

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris! Yes it does photograph well..lol! It's all in the angles and right lighting. :wink2:

Driving home was a joy of course. The newly upholstered seats are much more comfortable and supportive. Sound-wise much the same from the engine. I had already sound and heat proofed the bulkhead ages ago. It is certainly quieter in the cabin when you close the door though.. like going into a radio station booth. What was different was the wind noise at the front windows... far less. Not that it was loud before but the glass is sitting much firmer against the door seal now with the new guides... wow what a difference they make. Combined with the new door fuzzies and outer weather strips, the doors are closing with quiet, rattle free firmness. At high speed the glass would start separating from the door frame rubber.. not now though.

I have to get used to looking out over a red bonnet too.

Last edited:
Next question for the brains trust. I need to replace the surrounds on my rear view mirrors. I recall seeing a thread on their replacement but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know the brand? They are silicon from memory.

Thanks