Dead C5 V6 g/box, ZF model.

Cary

Tadpole
After my Hdi stopped we became more reliant on the V6.
Now that has a problem with the box. $5k to fix it but the
whole car is not worth that so I guess there are 2 C5's
going begging.
Anybody able to fix the box or willing to have 2 cars in their yard to wreck?

Certainly the repair kit (including clutch packs) can be had from China for under $300 although the valve body would add on another $260. I'm guessing 10 hours of labour would have the gearbox out and back in, but I'm not sure how many hours work it would take to overhaul the gearbox? Five maybe? So your $2 k quote sounds very reasonable.

Sometimes, replacing just the pump is enough to fix a 4HP20 auto. It can be damaged if the pickup becomes blocked by debris. Unfortunately, you can't access the pickup without splitting the gearbox open. A fairly dopey design, but that's what it is.

The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the box out
Take it out complete with engine, do timing belt and ol leaks and give it all a clean while it's out
Seriously the box is one of the simplest, straight forward auto's you'll ever have the joy of rebuilding, just watch for the large spring clip holding everything together

Certainly the repair kit (including clutch packs) can be had from China for under $300 although the valve body would add on another $260. I'm guessing 10 hours of labour would have the gearbox out and back in, but I'm not sure how many hours work it would take to overhaul the gearbox? Five maybe? So your $2 k quote sounds very reasonable.
You can have the engine and box out in just over an hour, hardly anytime at all

Thanks for all all the input.
Unfortunately I am past 70yrs with no equipment to do this anymore, and I live in WA.
Nobody I know does the work over here at affordable prices so it looks like the car will go
to the crushers along with the white hdi.
Pity.
That leaves me with one C5 left.
I hope it outlasts me.

Sounds like a job for an apprentice with plenty of time. Maybe put a post on Airtasker and see if any budding mechanics can help. As a tip don't offer with 2k as AT will request this amount from you to hold until task completed.

Offer an hourly rate for engine and box out and back installed again.

Take box to transmission repairer with new replacement parts and they should charge a reasonable amount.

Anyone in WA with local contacts??