Dauphine Electrical Problem

Dauphinegordini

Tadpole
Hi gurus I have a weird problem with my Dauphine which I need some guidance on. It just happened on Sunday the headlights, tail lights, windscreen wipers/washers and interior lights have stopped working. I still have brake lights, indicators and oil and charging lights operational on the dash. I cannot see anything obvious wrong and I don't believe there are any fuses to check.

Any clues as to where I should start looking?

Don't have a Dauphine circuit diagram here but at a guess it would be the feed that is common to the above mentioned parts. I would look under the dash and see if you can see a wire that has broken off or fell off.

Be careful poking around under there to not dislodge anything or you may have another fault to find.

I haven't experienced that sort of problem with my Dauphine, but I have needed to fix corroded &/or loose connections on most circuits at one time or another. The electrical system is fairly simple - it's just a matter of following each circuit until you find the fault!

I haven't experienced that sort of problem with my Dauphine, but I have needed to fix corroded &/or loose connections on most circuits at one time or another. The electrical system is fairly simple - it's just a matter of following each circuit until you find the fault!
...you should fix your brake lights, the last time I followed you into a corner they didn't seem to be working :unsure:

If the Dauphine is anything like a Caravelle the items described would be on one fuse under the dash.
Check the fuse has not gone to start with. There are two fuses ( I think ) for the whole car.

...you should fix your brake lights, the last time I followed you into a corner they didn't seem to be working :unsure:
That would be a while ago - Inverell? I've improved them since then. However, all of the Dauphine's lights are dim by modern standards.

Phil, I think Graham was suggesting you don’t brake for corners.

Found the fault. There is a single fuse which did look to be intact when visually inspected, however when measured with my multimeter it was open circuit. Pulled the end caps off and it's a poor quality fuse which had not been soldered/spot welded on one end so the fusible link had separated from the end cap.

Thanks for your suggestions and guidance.

Found the fault. There is a single fuse which did look to be intact when visually inspected, however when measured with my multimeter it was open circuit. Pulled the end caps off and it's a poor quality fuse which had not been soldered/spot welded on one end so the fusible link had separated from the end cap.

Thanks for your suggestions and guidance.
Probably caused by vibration, have seen this many times when fuses look OK but when tested are open circuit.

Re brake lights, Mr D-G, you might just check sometime whether they only come on with a fairly hard push but not for light braking? Those pressure switches can lose sensitivity with age. Just mentioning it while I think of it.

Reactions: COL
I had similar intermittent problems and ended up replacing the fuse holder with a modern version. I tried cleaning the old one numerous times but it seemed to have a lot of resistance/heat being generated. Changing this alone brightened up headlights.

I had similar intermittent problems and ended up replacing the fuse holder with a modern version. I tried cleaning the old one numerous times but it seemed to have a lot of resistance/heat being generated. Changing this alone brightened up headlights.
Relays plus QI bulbs work wonders. With the right wattage delivered they are bright and the relays near the headlamps ensure no voltage drop.