Dauphine brake reservoir grommet/teat

jjperko

Tadpole
Hi all,

First time posting. I've been lurking around for a little while getting some help on my new Dauphine Gordini restoration project.

Wondering if anyone has found an easy DIY or locally sourced alternative for the rubber seal at the bottom of the glass reservoir? I've found the correct part online but it seems like a simple enough piece of rubber that I can adapt something for it without getting slogged for international postage!

Cheers,
James

As a restoration project, it is likely you will need more than the rubber teat for the reservoir. Get a list together and buy from one of the various overseas sellers a larger collection of parts , and the postage will be shared so as not to add much to each article. Most restorative parts for your Dauphine are not available in Australia. I mostly buy from Der Franzose and Melun Retro Passion.

And, assuredly, that reservoir seal is available.

Have you joined the Renault 4CV Register of Australia yet? We have plenty of Dauphine/4CV expertise (represented in part by Alan of course) and some folk no doubt have spare parts of the sort you can't buy easily. http://www.4cvregisteraustralia.org/

Another well laid out site is bretagneautoretro.fr with a good visual catalogue by model.

Regarding brakes, the Dauphine has imperial brake fittings (they are Lockheed) so your local brake place can usually make new hoses for you - this means you know they haven't been stored for long and are assured of the quality.

Hope the resto goes well.

Thanks for the help. Yep flared up all new brake lines a couple of weeks ago.
I've taken on an abandoned project so lots of stuff like wheel cylinders, shoes etc. are all new and I have a second complete car to help figure things out.

Just doing little bits and pieces alongside finishing the bodywork and painting (too hot to spend much time on that side of things at the moment) but I'm excited to get it together and running. The engine has been rebuilt to 904cc so hopefully will run nicely, or at least a bit more pep than my sidevalve Morris Minor!

Excellent and very funny. A standard 4CV has more pep than a sidevalve Minor. 904 cc of DG would have twice the power or a bit more.....

Getting a bit done. Engine on the stand getting ancillaries bolted up. 4 doors worth of panelbeating and I'll be ready for paint. Looking to match a 1093 style Blanc Rejane 305 but seems like theres some variation year to year or car to car on this?

The master cylinder leaks badly so need to order a new one along with a few other bits and pieces. My second car has a brake booster in the engine bay which may be put to use if the brakes aren't up to scratch (also have a full set of front discs as well if necessary).

I'm going to end up with a lot of bits and pieces that I don't need which I'll put up on here. The 3 stud Amil alloys in the collection I bought are the wrong offset and don't clear the steering knuckle on the front but I imagine someone will find them useful. I'll stick with the original 15s

All good. The Dauphine has pretty reasonable brakes (same diameter as FJ Holden I think) but of course the R8/10 discs bolt on fairly easily, especially if you have early R8 hubs. If you get R10 hubs, they need a bit of machining to get the bearing spacing correct.

If you go 4-wheel disc, make sure you get the correct valve in the inside end of the master cylinder or they'll lock on.

The master cylinder should be repairable at a local brake place? You'd have wanted to do it anyway, so you know what you have with the brakes. You can get new hoses made in Oz too, as the fittings are imperial (Lockheed) - $50 each here in Perth and you know what you are getting. Road spec braided stainless are nice....

Alan's comment was correct earlier too, make up a big order. Most mechanical things are available from OS suppliers, and Bretagne Auto Retro has an excellent illustrated catalogue, to give one example.

Are you one of our 4CV Register members (yet)? :)

Cheers

Still moving along slowly (I should start a new thread in the proper section). Have it driving up and down the driveway, very happy with how free revving and spritely it is. Putting off the bodywork but will have to get stuck in at some stage.

In other news I've got hold of a 16ts engine and gearbox cheaply. Thought it would be handy to have in my back pocket for a potential hillclimb/gymkhana car with my second shell.

I've done some reading already but get the feeling I'll be needing a 330 gearbox to easily adapt the 16 engine rather than the 16 or 318 boxes I have?

Alternatively I can keep the 2nd car original and adapt the big engine into something a little more modern, standard discs etc. Don't have the gear to do much in the way of fabrication. Not sure if the 12-16 conversion is done much as an R12G style rallier?

I really should just focus on finishing the first one but good to daydream