Dacia?

Russell Hall

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Ateco is talking about introducing Dacia next year as well as taking on other struggling brands like Peugeot. They talk about viable sales for an importer of 20,000 units a year. Is it only talk? Renault sales are moving up but have been left behind by Skoda which they outsold not too long ago. They will have to more than double to reach 20,000 per year.

The way I read the article, is that after taking over the distribution rights to Renault in Australia, introducing Dacia in 2022 and wanting to take over other struggling brands, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Jeep, they would want to be selling 20,000 to 30,000 across all the brands to become a viable importer.

From what I've read, if it wasn't for Ateco approaching Renault in wanting to introduce Dacia to Australia nearly 2 years ago, Renault would've withdrawn from the Australian market last year, but because Ateco was already in talks with France to sell Dacia's here, they were given the Renault brand first.

Ateco would already have sales around mid 20k without picking up any other brands.

You're right, Ateco have control of Maserati, RAM, Renault and LDV in Australia and last year their sales, combined, stood at 20,014 units. LDV was their biggest selling brand in 2020, with just over 9,000 units, then Renault, RAM and Maserati.

Interestingly, Ateco have control of Maserati, RAM, Jeep and Fiat in New Zealand, so them wanting to take over Jeep, Fiat and Alfa Romeo for the Australian market, seems like a no brainer. I think they'd love to have control of the same brands in both markets. Not sure if New Zealand would ever get the Dacia brand though, as the Duster is already sold there as a Renault.

Bringing in Citroen and Peugeot to the fold, would get all the Stellantis brands under the one umbrella for the Australian market and could see Ateco try and re-establish those brands on behalf of Stellantis. Inchcape have failed miserably with the Citroen and Peugeot in Australia and at least Ateco have history with selling the brands in Australia previously.

And who's to say Opel couldn't be re-introduced either? If Ateco aren't successful in acquiring the brands they're looking at and they've openly said they're on the look out to establish other brands for the Australian market to grow their business, then could we see Opel back here too? And what about SEAT? That one might be a bit harder, Volkswagen Australia are setting up SEAT's sport brand 'Cupra' in Australia next year, so could be stepping on their toes.

Last edited:
Nice to see a yard full of new cars in Brighton Renault's front yard instead of a lineup of Masters and Trafics!

I hope they do a better job with after-sales service and not chopping and changing models - owners are stuck with excesssive depreciation and they lose return business.

I hope they do a better job with after-sales service and not chopping and changing models - owners are stuck with excesssive depreciation and they lose return business.

We have a 2017 Megane Intens Sedan, which is identical in basic spec to a similar spec Megane hatchback. It came with a long warranty, and the knowledge that it should, like all our previous late 90's onwards Renaults, last a comfortable 12+ years without any major disasters. The car has more gismos than my SIL's late model Mercedes coupe and cost less than half as much. It also looks really good! They are not sold any more in Australia but most people can't tell them from the hatch. Every car that might have a soul always has high depreciation, look at the exotics. The service by our local dealer has been exemplary and not over the top price wise.

renault-megane-sedan-4.jpg

High depreciation of French cars was always a problem back to 1950 with the exception of the stagflation 1970's. The plus was that many people bought in at a bargain price for three year old cars. The downside of high depreciation is it doesn't appeal to the commercial user market where cars are turned over every couple of years. I would suggest that the Renault vans sold so successfully to large commercial operators have agreed value change overs factored in. But for the private owner, all cars aren't worth much after ten years and worthless at fifteen so just factor it in and enjoy the car.

High depreciation of French cars was always a problem back to 1950 with the exception of the stagflation 1970's. The plus was that many people bought in at a bargain price for three year old cars. The downside of high depreciation is it doesn't appeal to the commercial user market where cars are turned over every couple of years. I would suggest that the Renault vans sold so successfully to large commercial operators have agreed value change overs factored in. But for the private owner, all cars aren't worth much after ten years and worthless at fifteen so just factor it in and enjoy the car.
That's a fair analysis I reckon. We've just replaced a clutch on a 2007 Scenic and it cost about the market value of the car. That's a couple of Guinesses a week for 5 years and I've no doubt the car will be fine until I begin to think it is time at 20 years. It's like new at 15 years and cost next to nothing by new car standards. You pays your money and you takes your choice. The local Renault dealer near us seemed quite good until they went into hiding in a Suzuki dealership. It's hard to even FIND the service area now.

The registrant contact has an unusual name, which matches an entrepreneur in WA who has been challenged for a website with similar names to another. The registrant company, whose website is non-functional, appears to back an "exotic auto" dealer in WA. The car dealer's site has links to other car dealer sites. They look like dummy sites rather than traders.

It wasn't registered by Dacia.