D-Jetronic - What's gone wrong with mine?

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys, I'll start a new thread here and copy bits across from the other one.

My car started over-fueling and getting a mid to low throttle surge, and at full throttle using heaps of fuel.
I swapped computers to a spare I had. This has made a lot of difference but something is still not right.
I swapped MAP sensors too. The one in there worked but was not correct for the car. Checked it held pressure and the resistances were correct.
I've put in a new engine temperature sensor, and checked all of the air temp sensors I have and put in the most accurate.
D-Jet is meant to run at 2 Bar fuel pressure, mine's happiest at 1.4.
Wonder what's going on?

Last edited:
Plugs are not exactly equal in colour. I have swapped injectors to a set which had reportably been cleaned.

Attachments

• 20201212_085739.jpg
    20201212_085739.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 130
The Jag and Mercedes forums should have suggestions available.

Mine is more sophisticated, but permanent solution.
As it is almost Christmas, you better ask Santa for a new Dingle Arm
Connect via internet to the Rockwell Encabulator Division. They will then give you the exact fix.
Here is the link Encabulator Home

there is a lot of information out there on converting a Djet to megasquirt. This would be a huge project, but much cheaper as you could use pretty much any injection parts from the local wreckers.

I'm guessing there would be maps out there we could download that people have created on a dyno for prettymuch every standard Djet car :)

there is a lot of information out there on converting a Djet to megasquirt. This would be a huge project, but much cheaper as you could use pretty much any injection parts from the local wreckers.

I'm guessing there would be maps out there we could download that people have created on a dyno for prettymuch every standard Djet car :)
Thanks for that, it turns up plenty of results in Google!

Thanks for that, it turns up plenty of results in Google!
You might spend a few days searching the megasquirt forums and reading up on the people that have converted Djet cars. But is sounds like a fascinating project if you have the time!

You might spend a few days searching the megasquirt forums and reading up on the people that have converted Djet cars. But is sounds like a fascinating project if you have the time!
That i don't have!

It was pointed out that the colour of the plugs might hold the answer. There's two sets of injection trigger points in the dizzy under the points. One does cylinders 1&3, the other 2&4. So I pulled the dizzy out so that I could check i was getting a proper trigger. They're meant to be closed for 160°. Anyway I wasn't getting consistent readings. The contacts wear, I was told to give them a little bend so they contact properly. Consistent readings resulted.
I checked my engine temperature sensor and it was reading ok across the temperature range, but a new one for $70 went in any way. I checked the 3 air temperature sensors I have and put in the most accurate.
Back in goes the dizzy, fuel back up to 2 Bar. Timing is done by just fanging it around until it sounds right.
Happy to say that the low to mid throttle surge is gone and I think the problem is licked.

Last edited:
Engine is running strongly now. Big run from Rye to Williamstown and back for a coffee with the RCCV crew. Hums along happily on the highway, revs out well, idles well.

Now to work out why my hydraulic clutch drags when it all gets hot....

Reactions: COL