CX22TRS: DIY head gasket replacement?

jvgavila

Fellow Frogger
Hello my friends,

Well, I have finally found that oil leakage in my CX22TRS is due to a faulty head gasket :cry:

I wonder if, having time to spend on this, I could do the work by myself, as I will sure save some $$$ :wink2: and, of course, will learn a lot.

I have several manuals for the CX, including a couple devoted only to the 22TRS model (both of them in French but I understand it). So I should have all the needed info... But I would like to hear from people who has done this, to learn from their experience :D

Summing up, which tools would I need :confused: ?. I think I could spend some money on them, as I would save a lot... I have also located a nice gasket set at eBay so I would buy one, which includes all needed (and some more!) gaskets.

Thanks for your help :cheers: !

Regards,

JOSE

Hi Jose,

I suggest you post this in the Renault section. That motor in used in Renault Fuegos and R25's.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Hi Jose,

I suggest you post this in the Renault section. That motor in used in Renault Fuegos and R25's.

seeya,
Shane L.

and Renault R20, R21, Traffic, Espace, Master, and Peugeot 505. Took Citroen a little while longer to cotton onto this great little motor. :D

Its a very easy job. The only thing I could think of as been hard would be timing belt access in its Citroen layout.

As with any wet liner engine, break the gasket seal SIDEWAYS - that way you dont lift a liner and have to pull the whole motor down :rolleyes:

Haakon said:
and Renault R20, R21, Traffic, Espace, Master, and Peugeot 505. Took Citroen a little while longer to cotton onto this great little motor. :D

Its a very easy job. The only thing I could think of as been hard would be timing belt access in its Citroen layout.

As with any wet liner engine, break the gasket seal SIDEWAYS - that way you dont lift a liner and have to pull the whole motor down :rolleyes:

Thanks for your answer!

Well, it seems relatively easy but I have only taken apart a motorcycle engine (a venerable RZ350) and have no clue of working on another engine block... So I asked about it :wink2:

Please, could you tell me which tools I should use?. I think a dynamometric wrench is a 'must have' here, right :confused: ?

And about the head gasket, once I put the new one, should I put a sealing compound also or just the gasket?. Sorry for so basic questions :rolleyes: !

Best regards,

JOSE

DONT use any sealant!! Have the face of the head machined (gives a perfect clean smooth surface) , clean off the carbon from the pistons and head combustion chambers (carby cleaner good for this), LIGHTLY rub the tops of the piston liners with fine emery paper and wipe clean after scraping carefully the carbon away (with said carby cleaner) to remove all traces of old gasket and carbon and clean all block surfaces to remove gasket residue etc.

Basically CLEAN it all up - any oil or old gasket or carbon on any surface the gasket sits on will stuff it.

Smear a little oil on the bores as the carby cleaner will strip away the film thats always there.

Also, DONT turn the crank with the head off without clamping the liners down - it may break a liner seal and that means taking the sump off and removing pistons/liners etc - boring...

Timing belt can be tricky to set up - manual should give the procedure for this. The Renault version of this motor has a spring/plunger in the water pump casting to set the tension, but looking at your pictures, the Citroen arrangement may be different. I did note the distributor is off the back of the cam, so no need to worry about the timing on the auxilery shaft drive - just get the crank and cam pully marks lined right.

If you have the manual, the rest you can figure out easily, but ask away if you have any problems. :wink2: