CX Time

Motor came up well, warmed it up a bit with a mild cam grind and a new Weber carby that is bigger in the second barrel. Also got a relocation conversion for the oil filter, that will be up front.

Motor came up well, warmed it up a bit with a mild cam grind and a new Weber carby that is bigger in the second barrel. Also got a relocation conversion for the oil filter, that will be up front.
Oh man ..... if only you could find a turbo motor for this thing. It absolutely transforms them. It sounds like you have made midly lumpy screamer.... which will be a huge amount of fun.... I wonder if it'll feel lively like a GS to drive with a revvy motor :dance: The turbo'd motors are all lazyness, torque .... and acceleration that is nothing like "big citroens" can usually do :evil:

Oh man ..... if only you could find a turbo motor for this thing. It absolutely transforms them. It sounds like you have made midly lumpy screamer.... which will be a huge amount of fun.... I wonder if it'll feel lively like a GS to drive with a revvy motor :dance: The turbo'd motors are all lazyness, torque .... and acceleration that is nothing like "big citroens" can usually do :evil:
It will help, but wont be like my other car, the coupe goes pretty well, partly because of the balancing, cam and the fact that there is an electric water pump and fans amd mostly because of the loss of two doors.

Finally got to painting the car over the weekend

20211101_075839_HDR.jpg

I really like that look. The early non pallas bumpers with no rubber, later flared front guards. The bonnet and bullbar look way nicer than I was thinking they would. That front clip should probably take a hit from small animals without to much damage too if the bullbar is bolted to it. The rear windows and removed wheel spats look much better than you would think if someone said to you "I'm going to do this" ...

What a rippa :dance: :dance:

How did he sort out the door trims :) This is something we all need to know :D
One guy here in WA modified his doors a bit and fitted Series II trims - worked well I thought. There's a set of fibreglass moulds out there of course, outers only if I recall.

How did he sort out the door trims :) This is something we all need to know :D
Hi Shane and John
The trims that John is talking about are on Greg's car, they are series II and go straight on but you need to change the window winder motors from memory. (see pics). He bought them from CX Basis.

Mine are the plastic backed ones, we stripped one door back but it will be too much to repair I think, so I am going to make mine from scratch and will incorporate two way speakers into them etc. I am not too worried about originality with this car, but would like to solve the problem too as we have plenty of other CX's with similar issues.

Will post them up as I make them.

2020-10-01 18.05.38.jpg

20211009_100050_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 2020-10-01 18.05.44.jpg
    2020-10-01 18.05.44.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 108
Correct, I was thinking of Greg's.

It occurred to me you might copy his bonnet modification! I don't know whether it improves ventilation or not but you might know?

Correct, I was thinking of Greg's.

It occurred to me you might copy his bonnet modification! I don't know whether it improves ventilation or not but you might know?

Scoops on the bonnet make no difference at all. I realised years ago what they are good for when i saw a CX parked in the snow in a picture ..... . :)

Those series II door trims look really nice with those trimmed inserts. Its probably the best fix.

Scoops on the bonnet make no difference at all. I realised years ago what they are good for when i saw a CX parked in the snow in a picture ..... . :)

Those series II door trims look really nice with those trimmed inserts. Its probably the best fix.
It's really all about getting air OUT as a rule I guess. Same with radiators - you don't need huge openings in front but a nice low pressure area behind. I reckon the Vanwall showed that to perfection. Greg's elaborate bonnet takes cool air from further forward of the engine though, avoiding the pre-heater box and in a slightly higher air pressure zone!

I did like Shane and put sound deadener on the floor, also blocked the air to the rear to keep more air for the A/C in front. Will insulate the rear sides of the back too. I guess every little bit helps.

I did like Shane and put sound deadener on the floor, also blocked the air to the rear to keep more air for the A/C in front. Will insulate the rear sides of the back too. I guess every little bit helps.

An athermic windscreen would make the biggest difference of all IMO. The wagons are **much** cooler to travel in (well they are for passengers not sitting under that big windscreen either way :D )