CX Time

d coupe

Fellow Frogger
Decided it's time to put a 5 speed box in my wagon. Thought I may as well paint it while I'm at it, as it's got a bit of rust coming out.
0853e7809eb388748c14ff78640abfe4.jpg
a69465f9319206d17f8abc86696aa6c3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Started doing the rust at the rear beaver panel, coming along well.
Got to the LH/R tail light rust and realized there had been a dodgy repair.
Fortunately I kept the back end of a wagon I wrecked, so the job just got a bit bigger.

2017-08-10 18.28.28.jpg2017-08-02 18.16.37.jpgA__6380.jpgA__D21A.jpg2017-08-12 16.44.51.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-08-12 16.44.07.jpg
    2017-08-12 16.44.07.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 401
  • 2017-08-12 10.49.28.jpg
    2017-08-12 10.49.28.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 450
  • 2017-08-12 16.45.29.jpg
    2017-08-12 16.45.29.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Great to see "Queeny" getting some long overdue attention. Hope the few bits I dealt with weren't your major problems?

I've still got the seats safely stored away - waiting for one of the children to bring a suitable vehicle down so I can get them to Perth for you.:)

Great to see "Queeny" getting some long overdue attention. Hope the few bits I dealt with weren't your major problems?

I've still got the seats safely stored away - waiting for one of the children to bring a suitable vehicle down so I can get them to Perth for you.:)

Hi Rmac
The main reason for the cleanup was to install the 5 speed, it escalated from there. Another reason for doing the car, is I am contemplating going to Citin 2018, a few crew have talked of doing the central desert rd to get there.
Sounds good with the seats.

that road is being done up in SA right now, pretty damn good, I contemplated how a D might handle it, mind you by 2018 it could be snafu by then, Chunky tyres with loads of tread would be the go! Coupled with glorious suspension and you would arrive without a sore backside.

that road is being done up in SA right now, pretty damn good, I contemplated how a D might handle it, mind you by 2018 it could be snafu by then, Chunky tyres with loads of tread would be the go! Coupled with glorious suspension and you would arrive without a sore backside.

A DS would love it, I did the Gun barrel highway in 1987 doing the survey for Raid 88 and it was very corrugated and it handled it beautifully apart from cracking the lower front suspension mount (common problem - easily fixed). If the spheres are good then it will soak it up, we sat on about 100 kph to get the sweet spot of riding the corrugations. We did go much faster at times and that handled just as good. [emoji122]

Nice Work !! Have you got all the parts you need for a 5spd conversion :confused: If it's an early narrow track car, the driveshafts are "hen teeth" to find. For the conversion from 4spd to 5spd you need:

diravi splitter
narrow track 5spd driveshafts
5spd gearbox mount
selector rods

that's all I can think off .. unless it's a C-matic conversion.

then you also need:
flywhee/clutch
clutch cable
pedal assemblly

That's all I can think of as it's years since I've done one :) That's really nice looking work your doing there :dance:

seeya,
Shane L.

Nice Work !! Have you got all the parts you need for a 5spd conversion :confused: If it's an early narrow track car, the driveshafts are "hen teeth" to find. For the conversion from 4spd to 5spd you need:

diravi splitter
narrow track 5spd driveshafts
5spd gearbox mount
selector rods

that's all I can think off .. unless it's a C-matic conversion.

then you also need:
flywhee/clutch
clutch cable
pedal assemblly

That's all I can think of as it's years since I've done one :) That's really nice looking work your doing there :dance:

seeya,
Shane L.
Hi Shane
Thanks, I have a complete 1980 narrow track car, so I am rebuilding the wagon by taking the complete engine/ trans out of it. But the wagon is an 1981 wide track, so I am thinking that I will need the driveshafts. The car is currently an automatic, so I doubt the drive shafts will cross over. Maybe you could shed light on it! Hopefully everything else will be available.

Spent yesterday welding rust and preparing the new body sections. Tacked up the body section today, then mocked up the fitting of the 1/4 panel and tailgate
723776dc0ced5c58f63ee86437947310.jpg
06395ae654a02df8a07dca8651b98c2b.jpg
490bc93ee215da1843438c5c96110b74.jpg

Great work Wayne....nicely done....:)
Just a curiosity - are the repair panels sourced as replacement parts, or did they come from another car...?
You can seem to get anything for the DS but the CX is not as lucky...
Cheers,
Mark...:)

Hi Mark
I have 3 CX wagons, I wrecked one which fortunately I kept the back end in case it was ever in a rear end smash, so that's the donor. I have another that is is about to be wrecked and of course the white one. The back panels are quite rusty but I am able to still use them.
Parts are definitely getting hard to come by for them, however my Father and Brother very fanatical on CX's, so between us we have about 12 CX's in various states of condition. My Father is constantly buying up spares and reconditioning racks, suspension cylinders etc.

sorry I'm not sure about eh automatic driveshafts. You may be able to mix and match though. The RH shaft is only the inner joint that will be different. You'll need to measure the LHS shaft and see if you can work something out. THe only wide track 5spd shafts I have are in the CX I drive :(

seeya,
Shane L.

sorry I'm not sure about eh automatic driveshafts. You may be able to mix and match though. The RH shaft is only the inner joint that will be different. You'll need to measure the LHS shaft and see if you can work something out. THe only wide track 5spd shafts I have are in the CX I drive :(

seeya,
Shane L.

Thanks Shane
Appreciate the advice, a few months away from being able to look at it.

Great work - you have skills way beyond mine!!! I'll remember you have a stash of CXs..... :)

I'd forgotten, or didn't know, that Queenie ended up with you.

Cheers

Not only has he acquired "Queeny" but the engine and five speed transmission he plans to transplant into her came from another ex-Denmark CX!