CX Return hose

mistersooty

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Is there any thing special about the return line from the hydraulic pump to the reservoir?

Mine is starting to split. Spotted this AM during a cars and coffee event. Walked to a parts store to get spare LHM, brake cleaner, and Gorilla tape to make a field repair.

Thanks,
Fred

Get Outlook for Android

its a suction line. tape it up and you'll be fine. It is a different diameter each end from memory. So if you make one, you will need a joiner piece to join two different sections of line together (don't ask me why Citroen loves doing that :blackeye: )

Oh, if you don't get what I'm saying, it will not leak LHM, it will allow the pump to suck air and loose prime though.

Thanks. I do get what your saying. I may try to tape it up better. It was leaking before I did my field repair tape job and I was getting a few drops at home after the initial tape job.

Thanks. I do get what your saying. I may try to tape it up better. It was leaking before I did my field repair tape job and I was getting a few drops at home after the initial tape job.
Are you sure its the reseviour -> pump line. I've never seen one of these leak fluid as they are the only suction line in the system (ie: there is no pressure there to push the lhm out). I guess it may be gravity feeding out whne the motor isn't running :unsure:

The original rubber has no reinforcing. It will eventually start to crack where it is slightly stretched over the 'olive' formed into the pump inlet connection, but might split elsewhere as it ages. Some self-amalgamating rubber tape would be a temporary repair, but it's probably hard and brittle if it is the original rubber.

Is there any thing special about the return line from the hydraulic pump to the reservoir?

Mine is starting to split. Spotted this AM during a cars and coffee event. Walked to a parts store to get spare LHM, brake cleaner, and Gorilla tape to make a field repair.

Thanks,
Fred

Get Outlook for Android
Mine did too, last year after 46 years of service! That hose is 12mm down the pump end but 8 mm to the reservoir. The top 8 mm bit was fine so I bought 60 cm of 12 mm hydraulic hose and a brass joiner 12-8 mm. All up $35

David, you nailed it. It's the suction hose that has started to split as it comes up from the pump and goes back towards the reservoir.

Willemd, thanks for the dimensions. The hose on my CX is also good at the reservoir. I'll do a search for 12 mm hydraulic hose and the 12-8 mm brass joiner. It may be a challenge here in the US to get the exact metric sizes.

Fred

1000000769.jpg

yes the suction hose, make sure its air tight, easy to replace.