CX Headlight Binacle

doggiedog

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,
Finally got the CX C-Matic registered today, and I have been driving it around
for about 5 hours, and it drives very nicely, with new spheres and all.
I noticed however, that after driving it around for a couple of hours at night time with the headlights on, that the right hand switch binacle, gets quite warm.
I am wondering if this is normal, or am I slowly cooking the switches.

I turned the dash dimmer knob to full brightness thinking that could be the cause, (resistive loading via the knob to reduce voltage), but it didnt seem to reduce the warmth much.
I know I should fit a headlight relay to reduce the current through the switches, but I didnt want to have to do it straight away, but if this heat is abnormal, then I will have to fit one in the next couple of days.
I found out today the car ran out of rego in 1999, so it has been sitting for 6 years, so the contacts could be a bit scummy I guess.

Thanks
Terry

Terry

Congrats on getting the CX on the road. Obviously Shane is otherwise occupied tonight or he would have answered already.

You should fit a relay in the circuit ASAP. The wiring and switch are old and full of resistance. Putting the relay into get a better feed will also possibly improve the headlight brightness.

Yep,

UFO's got it. You need to immediatly relay both high and low beam circuits on the headlights. The fuel headlight current flows through the switch. Just do NOT fit high wattage globes... It'll have the spectacular effect of sending the headlight switch up in smoke (don't ask how I know this :rolleyes: :disappr: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

Thanks UFO and Shane, looks like thats my job for today, ( damn I was going to mow the lawns :cry: ).
What sort of relay/s are the best to fit, I guess you can still get the double solenoid type, for both high and low beam, but from memory they were fairly big.

I guess i could find a spot near the battery somewhere for the relay, and run new cable under the front along the top of the radiator for the drivers side headlight.

I havent checked the headlight bulbs to see what actual wattage they are, the previous owner may have put larger ones in, as the lights are actually quite good.
I'd better check, dont want to stuff up the reflectors.

Thanks for the replies
Terry

doggiedog said:
Headlight relay is in, will try it tonight to see if the switches heat up!!

Great, did you relay high and low beam ??? You can now install high wattage globes ... The lights are bloody incredible with relays and high wattage globes. It doesn't appear to hurt the metal reflectors on the lights either.

seeya,
Shane L.

andrewj said:
And no problems with the extra load on the alternator?

Aussie spec C-matic have 100amp Alternators (a mind boggling MASSIVE charging unit back in the 70's). They should effortlessly cope with upgraded headlights.

Having said that, I have never found that charging system really good at idle speeds. The only problem you may have is gear selection with the air-con, radiator fans, headlights and demister fans running at idle. Anything about 2000rpm and the alternator is happy.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Aussie spec C-matic have 100amp Alternators (a mind boggling MASSIVE charging unit back in the 70's). They should effortlessly cope with upgraded headlights.

Having said that, I have never found that charging system really good at idle speeds. The only problem you may have is gear selection with the air-con, radiator fans, headlights and demister fans running at idle. Anything about 2000rpm and the alternator is happy.

seeya,
Shane L.
Hi Shane, and the rest of you...
Are you sure the full amperage of the lights goes through the switch?? That's just ridiculous if it's right.
Couldn't it be possible that the headlight already has a relay but the relay is faulty and so more current than specified is running to the switch?
Just wondering, that's all.
I guess you guys must be right, which means I'll be doing the same to my CX.
BTW....does anyone have a typical MAP of which relay does what down there in the CX relay section, there's only about 12 of the darn things.
Cheers...George 1/8th. :cheers: :cool: :tongue:

George 1/8th said:
Hi Shane, and the rest of you...
Are you sure the full amperage of the lights goes through the switch?? That's just ridiculous if it's right.
Couldn't it be possible that the headlight already has a relay but the relay is faulty and so more current than specified is running to the switch?
Just wondering, that's all.
I guess you guys must be right, which means I'll be doing the same to my CX.
BTW....does anyone have a typical MAP of which relay does what down there in the CX relay section, there's only about 12 of the darn things.
Cheers...George 1/8th. :cheers: :cool: :tongue:

Only 12 ??? I thought there was about 18 :roflmao: :roflmao: And yes, DEFINATLY no headlight relays or stater soleniod relays unless they have been fitted post factory.

You can work out which relay is which easily enough.

You have:

--LHS electric window
--RHS electric window
--series fans relay
--parallel fans relay
--sunroof relay
--C-matic soleniod relay
--airhorns relay
--air-con relay
--etc, etc

Basically unplug the bugger and see what no longer works :roflmao: :roflmao: I strongly suggest replacing all of there spade terminals. You can buy a bag of 100 brass narva terminals. You may find the wire housing is cremated where the connections have got really dodgy and hot. If so chop off and replace. It'll be a good 1/2days work replacing them all, and possibly cost 40or so bux ... But worth it in everyway.

seeya,
Shane L
PS relay the headlight and start now !!!!

Goodness Gracious Me

Shane is this the case with the CX turbo? same relay contact problems. I thought this sh..t only happened to english cars with the ugly lucas contact systems and open fuses etc :eek:

The CX turbo has a relay on high beam.... Only the relay is next to the switch in the dash binnacle.

I could smell the wiring on mine burning due to dodgy connector when I first got the car. I tidied up the relay and fitted new relay above the battery. One for high beam/driving lights, one for low beam and one for the w@nker lights.

The lights in my car are brilliant .... Night to day sort of lights.

seeya,
Shane L.

With the new headlight relay in,(on both circuits), the switches are now cool, so this has fixed the problem. Now for the next problem!!!!! New Post :cry: :confused:

Terry