CX GTI Fuel PUMP

brian woodcock

Fellow Frogger
My mate down the road has a CX25GTI, it appears that the fuel pump has died! Please can someone advise on its location?
Woody

I'm pretty sure it is down the back just in front of the fuel tank and I think it is very similar to a BX injection fuel pump. If the fuel in the tank has gone off, clean the old fuel out of the tank and replace with fresh as old fuel gums up fuel pumps like you wouldn't believe.

Cheers, Ken

Do you know 100% it's the fuel pump? It's just that issues with the relays up front can disable the fuel pump (I'm thinking in particular of the infamous 'big blue' relay). In my experience, corroded connectors there (and that earth stud in the inner wing by the battery) are the primary suspect when things like this happen. Easier to clean and test things behind the headlight than messing around with fuel pump replacements..? Good luck!

Thanks all . Eddy, I have removed the Blue relay and connected 12v to the yellow wire which goes to pin 87b which goes to the fuel pump. Its drawing 10 amps but no fuel and silence! Looks like its seized up.
Woody

May I suggest getting under the car, at the fuel pump and rig up a direct connection to test the pump?
That way you'll see if the pump is really kaput or not.
How do I know....?
RegarDS
Lou

I have a 2400 CX GTI which also had a fuel injection issue in the past. Some things to try.

1) if you still have everything connected on the car, just turn the ignition on and then lie down (or have a 2nd person) next to the rear wheel and you should be able to hear the fuel pump running.
2) to really prove the pump operation, find the fuel line where it enters the engine bay. Pull it off and place it into a glass jar or similar. Turn the ignition on again and if the pump is working you should see fuel come through into the container. You can also check the fuel quality. It should be that reddish colour you see on fresh fuel. If it is a brownish/blackish colour, that's not good.
3) my fuel pump was kaput. I went to a Repco store and bought a standard fuel pump which had the same connectors. I think it was a Holden pump at the time. It fitted quite easily.

Just be careful if you are playing with petrol and batteries and sparks.

gembee

Hi gembee, I stand to be corrected but I thought that the starter motor had to be operated to activate the fuel pump!

Hi,
sorry I wasn't clear. Yes you will have to turn the ignition fully on so that the motor will try to start. Obviously it won't start if you have disconnected the fuel line. Helpful to have an assistant to help hold the fuel line into the container whilst you turn the ignition key. Saves having fuel splash into the engine bay and starting a possible fire !