CX fuel smell revisited

JohnW

Too many posts!
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Progress report - no progress!

Well, I've checked everything carefully and also replaced the locking cap with one that has a better rubber gasket that presses more strongly.

Net result is no change!!

The cap seems to be sealing. There are no leaks behind the rear mudguard but on left corners fuel is emerging into the fuel cap cavity behind its flap, running out of the drainhole and seeping down the fuel filler pipe to spread under the tank itself. All joints at the back are tight.

The only remaining joint seems to be between the base of the fuel filler pipe, attached with four screws/bolts to the bodywork and the locking cap base which seems to be secured with two small screws but which I cannot move.

I can't find a diagram of this assembly and don't want to butcher it.

Has anyone dismantled one or, better, photographed one?

All advice most welcome.

And Happy New Year to all.

Have you checked the metal ring the fuel cap locks into ?? This could be loose and leaking.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Have you checked the metal ring the fuel cap locks into ?? This could be loose and leaking.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Shane and thanks. Hope it's a bit cooler at your end.

Everything seems very tight - I can't shift the ring that the cap locks into, even when I remove the two little screws that seem to hold it in place. I presume the ring should pull out of the larger base that is held in to the bodywork with the four screws. But it doesn't look like moving. Mind you, I can't see where else the fuel could be getting out but behind it. I'm not game to tap it without a spare to see how it all fits together!

Cheers

It's only four screws and a hose clamp. Why don't you whip the plastic housing out. You can then just put the cap on, tip it upside down and fill it with water to see if it leaks ... and where from.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
It's only four screws and a hose clamp. Why don't you whip the plastic housing out. You can then just put the cap on, tip it upside down and fill it with water to see if it leaks ... and where from.

seeya,
Shane L.

True enough. I'll do that in the morning and report back. Thanks. At least I'll see how the locking cap base is secured too.

Cheers

I was plagued with fuel smells in the DS every time I drove with the driver's window open. I had all sorts of dire scenarios running around in my head such as cracks in the filler pipe etc. The solution was extremely simple and may be of help to you. (And it wasn't to just not open the window!)

The locking cap is one of those into which one inserts the key and then turns the key through 90 degrees releasing the cap assembly from the collar in which it locks. The seal inside the cap contacting the collar was perfect, tight and sealing well.

The collar into which the cap locks is a sort of "clayton's fuel cap" in that it is a ring which attaches to the filler neck the same way as the original, non locking cap, would. Once it is tightened onto the neck, a small locking screw is inserted which holds it there. This screw is covered by the cap assembly when locked so that the whole thing can't be removed without the key.

Now the tricky bit. The collar also has a seal inside it which must seal tightly to the flat surface of the filler neck. My seal was broken and allowing fuel to seep out even though the cap was tightly attached to the collar.

A bit of cunningly cut cardboard later and I no longer stress over fuel smells!

Hope this (a) is clear enough and (b) helps.

Pottsy

pottsy said:
I was plagued with fuel smells in the DS every time I drove with the driver's window open. I had all sorts of dire scenarios running around in my head such as cracks in the filler pipe etc. The solution was extremely simple and may be of help to you. (And it wasn't to just not open the window!)

The locking cap is one of those into which one inserts the key and then turns the key through 90 degrees releasing the cap assembly from the collar in which it locks. The seal inside the cap contacting the collar was perfect, tight and sealing well.

The collar into which the cap locks is a sort of "clayton's fuel cap" in that it is a ring which attaches to the filler neck the same way as the original, non locking cap, would. Once it is tightened onto the neck, a small locking screw is inserted which holds it there. This screw is covered by the cap assembly when locked so that the whole thing can't be removed without the key.

Now the tricky bit. The collar also has a seal inside it which must seal tightly to the flat surface of the filler neck. My seal was broken and allowing fuel to seep out even though the cap was tightly attached to the collar.

A bit of cunningly cut cardboard later and I no longer stress over fuel smells!

Hope this (a) is clear enough and (b) helps.

Pottsy

Pottsy,

Many thanks. That is as clear as a bell and what you've said fits the description of my situation perfectly.

I'm almost certain that the leak is behind the filler neck but haven't yet succeeded in freeing it from the inner collar. I can see two screws that are near the outside of the filler neck, and loosening them doesn't release the filler neck, so maybe there's another that I haven't spotted - I'll have a look in daylight. Did yours have two outer, coarse threaded screws and another somewhere else?

Does the filler neck sit in a taper or on a flat?

I haven't forgotten Philip Island for 2006, but am not yet organised. Will you be there?

Cheers

JohnW said:
Pottsy,

Many thanks. That is as clear as a bell and what you've said fits the description of my situation perfectly.

I'm almost certain that the leak is behind the filler neck but haven't yet succeeded in freeing it from the inner collar. Cheers

Took 10 seconds to see what looks like the problem! Flimsy neoprene gasket that is "almost" the right size. Will replace with slightly thicker rubberised cork and see how we go.

More to come. Thanks.

Cheers

JohnW said:
Took 10 seconds to see what looks like the problem! Flimsy neoprene gasket that is "almost" the right size. Will replace with slightly thicker rubberised cork and see how we go.

More to come. Thanks.

Cheers

Right, replaced flimsy with 3 mm thick rubberised cork and out for a vigorous test. Fuel everywhere!

Replaced locking cap with Aunger device that fits (but doesn't cover the screws) and out for a test. Not a drop. Looks like both were leaking! Now to disguise the screw heads......

Thanks to both for advice.

John

Glad you've sorted it. Fuel smells are never conducive to relaxed motoring!

Yes, I plan to be at the Shannon's Classic again this year. As far as I know I'm on turn 2 communications again.

Hope you make it across. Moby will probably be parked somewhere visible again!

Happy New Year

Pottsy.

pottsy said:
John

Glad you've sorted it. Fuel smells are never conducive to relaxed motoring!

Yes, I plan to be at the Shannon's Classic again this year. As far as I know I'm on turn 2 communications again.

Hope you make it across. Moby will probably be parked somewhere visible again!

Happy New Year

Pottsy.

And to you and yours! I'll let you know if I can make it over. And prolonged testing has shown my petrol problem to be fixed. Excellent holiday outcome.

Cheers