CX "big blue" relay closed circuit= dead?

Loudel

Fellow Frogger
One for the gurus- suspect the big blue is cactus so I pulled it from the car and put 12v through various terminals.
No clicking from any combination of terminals.
87 to 87b had a spark and the thin wires heated. Put the ohmmeter across the terminals and registered closed circuit.
Is this relay dead?
If so has anyone used a cheaper alternative available (eg Hueco 132040) with good results?
Ta
Lou

check the wiring plug on the base of it ... Unplug the start solenoid (wire beside the battery) and have somoene hold the ignition in the "start" position. Big blue to be live with the starter engaged, and with the engine running. Mines played up in the past, but it was corroded terminals onto the relay, not the relay itself.

seeya
Shane L.

Shane, thankyou for the reply, I tested the relay by disconnecting the fuel pump negative and placing a wire to the + and one to the - connected to a 12v light (I am alone here) so when I cranked the engine I should see the light come on. It didn't. Then gently attaching 12v to the different terminals on the relay I got resistance from 87 and 87b. I removed the relay cover. 87 and 87b are connected, hence the resistance. the solenoid/electro magnet did not move. So I reckon a diode/resistor thingy is kaput. Ultimately repairable by someone who does minute electronics. The CX is undergoing a slow restoration, the electrics need a comprehensive review, I'll be obtaining a new relay in due course.
Lou

Loudel,

If you want to test the operation of the relay to make sure that it pulls in is to apply 12 volts across the coil (terminals 85 & 86) and see if it pulls in which should be confirmed by a click sound coming from the relay.

Here is a link to help you out with relays: http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/intro-automotive-relays.html

Hope this helps you a little.

Loudel,

If you want to test the operation of the relay to make sure that it pulls in is to apply 12 volts across the coil (terminals 85 & 86) and see if it pulls in which should be confirmed by a click sound coming from the relay.

Here is a link to help you out with relays: http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/intro-automotive-relays.html

Hope this helps you a little.

This one is a tachometric relay. I've found it is usually the wiring that is the problem. On my '85 CX (I can't comment on the exact car in question here). The tachometric relays drives a standard relay positioned right beside it. So unplug the starter solenoid wire (a bullet connector beside the battery) and have someone hold the ignition in the start position. You should hear the fuel pump run, and the injectors should have 12volts. When you release the key, the tachometric side of the relay takes over, so if the engine is spinning at faster the xx turns per minute, the relay will stay live.

Issues in the wiring on the tacho side will mean the engine will start, but stall as soon as the key is released.

To check the wiring to the fuel pump. just pop the lid off the relays and press the contacts together. The fuel pump should run and the injectors should be 12volts (if the relay itself is the issue, the car will probably now run).

seeya
Shane L.