CV Joints

Snake

Fellow Frogger
Does anybody know any tricks in reassembling the 'spider' type CV joints. I dismantled one to fit a new driveshaft boot but can't get the bl**dy think back together. The workshop manual is useless, it just says to 'reassemble and pack with grease'. :confused: :

Just to make sure we are talking the same end, I call the spider joint the outer (wheel end) of the shaft.

Do you have the boot on the shaft? To fit it over the three "prongs" you need the proper tool (like a round Eiffel Tower) to stretch it over the shaft. Any other rudimentary tool (like screwdrivers) is likely to end up with the boot getting torn, as it has to stretch quite a lot.

The outer part (stub axle) of the shaft as you have likely found out has a clip to hold the shaft together. You can get two sides of the clip in place on two of the "prongs", the third side is pulled into place with a ground flat bladed screwdriver. It's awkward, but it can be done with a bit of patience.

Simon

Simon,

Yes, it's the outer end. I welded up some 6mm steel rod into one of those tower shaped cages to stretch the boot over the joint. With plenty of grease and swearing I got the boot on. Someone told me to get one end of the starplate in and then use a screwdriver with a notch cut in the blade to lever the other ends of starplate into the recesses.

Snake,
If you are playing with an R12 driveshaft, the the inner 3 pronged joint comes off after opening some tabs and removing a circlip, and then sliding the 3 pronged bit off a spline, the boots then easily slide on the 25mm shaft, but if you are talking original R15,17,or 16 shafts, then you need the long cone.
Alan.

Suggest you read the thread that I had going a couple of weeks ago; basically same story different breed.

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000529" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000529</a>

It's a case of having a VERY firm bench with a vice attached and separating it.
It sounds like the hardest way to go, but when you do it you'll see that it's far simpler than the way be BOTH tried to do it. roll_lau

Alan S