Culling The Fleet

Peter C

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Time marches on and all of a sudden we realise that we need to "move on" some cars. I have 3 505 Gtis - one 1986 GTi and 2 1988 GTis. All are pretty much complete. One of the '88 GTis was a project car and the front end has been done up. Is there a market for them? Is the wreckers the best option? Are they still buying these cars for export to the middle east?

Ten years ago the Egyptians only wanted carburettored cars.

But there is a market locally...I sold my old 1985 SR only 6 months ago. It had 160,000 Ks and I got $800. It had heaps of spares, too.

I'd suggest advertising in a few places...often people don't "get it out there" enough and feel all despondant when their one ad doesn't bring hordes of buyers.
And remember....all it takes is one person.
Apart from this forum, Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace are free. Perhaps also the Peugeot Club of Victorie ?

Advertise them separately on Gumtree with at least 6 good pics, straight on each side, front and back, pref one of the interior and one under the bonnet. Forget the arty shots.
Manual or Auto? K's? Rust? Last rego?
Please don't send them OS , you'll get nothing from them anyway. Like $500. $50 from wreckers.
Yes they go pretty cheap but there are buyers out there. Anywhere up to about $2K for a reasonable one. More if it can have a pink slip/roadworthy.

PS, can you send me some more details?

agree these cars can attract interest for projects ... i'm in two minds about selling mine

where is "SWOTR" (your location ...) ?

Some where over the rainbow. Eastern suburbs of Melbourne

Some where over the rainbow. Eastern suburbs of Melbourne
Heh. I had guessed "somewhere on the road". Think I prefer mine since (a) no wicked witches and (b) less likelihood of having to burst into song.

Have fun,

Rob.

I sing so no problem singing that song but not very blokey so might pass.

I started doing up one of the '88 GTis , did the front end, except for the power stearing which isn't bolted on and sorted out the central locking and window winders. Clear coat very poor. The other '88 GTi is/was for parts. The '86 GTi is a little rusty and could be fixed up but would be a fairly big project as it's been off the road a very long time.

Will upload some pics in due course.

Always liked the GTI's....in fact would love to get hold of a wagon - 8 seater

My lady friend and I sat in one of the '88 GTis yesterday and it's got me thinking. Hmm. Maybe have another round of work to get it back on the road.

Last edited:
I know a handful of normal people (not into French cars) both in Brisbane and America who in the last year or so have become big fans of old French cars. I think maybe they're on the verge of being mainstream-cool instead of a niche thing, diesels especially so. I remember when I first got my license a bit over a decade ago, a Nissan S13 was $1000, and now they're sitting at $15k. If a <$1000 505 came up in Brisbane, I know a few Japanese car fans who'd snap it up.

Will keep it in mind. Leaning towards finishing off the "project" one.