Criminal Simcas

Russell Hall

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Stan has made a new program on the Eric Cooke case in WA. This intertwines with the John Button case and his Simca Aronde. Button was charged with murder for running down his girlfriend in his Simca Aronde. Serial killer Eric Cooke later confessed to running down the victim in his Holden but the appeal judge was unconvinced and Button served five years before he was released. He was not completely cleared until 2002. At one stage the WA police had three Simca Arondes doing tests and an expert from America was brought in. By the time the case was reviewed after 2000 they found it hard to get an Aronde to replicate the incident. I wonder if Stan got hold of an Aronde for the series?

if I remember correctly on a visit to a car museum in fremantle in 2005,john button was working at said museum whose owner had an influence in the appeal/car testing process. I may stand corrected... jim

I don't know much about it except Button seemed hard done by the appeal judge who thought the body couldn't pass over the top of Cooke's Holden because it had a sunvisor. Cooke only confessed on the way to the gallows so he couldn't be questioned. You'd think there would be a lack of damage to the Simca.