Creaking 406

Armidillo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
My D9 406 SV makes a creaking sound under brakes (more noticeable at low speeds around town). Since brake rotors, pads and hoses were renewed earlier this year, something amiss with the brakes seemed plausible.

But there's also a creak when accelerating after braking - in fact it sounds like a "mirror image". If the creaking under brakes sounds a bit like a descending scale, then when accelerating there's an ascending scale, that lasts about as long as the braking 'creak'.

Hard to pin-point when driving, but the sound seems to come from under the car, but towards the front.

This year I acquired a set of 16" wheels (from a wrecked 307) and fitted RE003s. Have also binned the Lip shocks, and put new Records all round. More grip than it's probably ever had before, :D so additional stresses when cornering could be a factor - had a really good run up the Oxley Highway from Wauchope to Walcha a few weeks ago - without any nervous nelly or bilious passengers :headbang:.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Alec

Front swaybar bushes have dirt in them. Dismantle, clean, and if you feel the urge, a little rubber grease.

If the noise is coming from the rear check the handbrake cables where they are supported by steel rings about the mid section.
I recall tracking down an annoying creaking noise at low speed on my 406 a few years ago now.
The cables had their plastic outer covering worn through to metal and were grinding away on the steel rings, metal to metal.
A good coating of grease fixed this issue !

Also worth a look - something so simple!

Haven't checked the sway bar bushes yet, but the car was in for a rego check this week, so I asked the mechanic to investigate. He is convinced that the noise is coming from the front, and is not suspension related. He thinks it is a drive-train issue - either CV joints (no noise on corners - but could be an inner) or gearbox/diff.

What about the support bearing on the RH (longer) shaft?

Cheers

Alec