Covid and fuel usage

Yes this is the problem now, the consumption. I filled the C5 diesel today. It took 60l for 660km, so basically 9l per 100, and it said 75km left.
The trip meter showed 8.3 for the last tankful, and I know it is always a good 0.5 optimistic, so 9 it is. The long trip showed 7.2 over 8800km.
I am always wary of all the short trips in lockdown, both in consumption, exhaust/cat wear, and the number of times it is started, which may be 4 times in the one outing.
Soon as we can I am going to take it to Gosford and hold it in 5th the whole way.

Personally, I just put "Urgent Blood Delivery" signs front and back on the car, and drive anywhere I like.

Wow ... all these problems. I only need to move a trailer or two around the yard and the shitbox range rover has managed to burn another tank of fuel. LPG could probably sit forever in its sealed tank though :)

so long as I don't let the ULP get too old and stinky. it'll burn fine, just like it does in the old Citroens. there compression ratio is so low, as long as the petrol hasn't gone "off" enough to gum up the valves or fuel system, you'll be fine :)

My cars always all sit "almost empty". My wife would have heart failure if I paid out the $$$ to fuel them all up. The tractor and mowers always seem to fire right up if you have a charged battery on hand.

It's a thing:

2021-10-14_12-21-03.png

Check out aviation fuel, in particular, but across the board.

Did our first country run for some time, (last one was just before we had a snap 7 day lockdown to Melbourne that went on for many weeks, as they seem to do these days.) I had filled a 20 litre jerry can for that earlier trip and of course hadn't used it, so topped up the tank with it and heard that fuel prices were on the rise in Melbourne which was a bit of a concern as I intended to do a fellow frogger a favour and drop off an item he had purchased in Melbourne on the way through Ballarat and on to Echuca.

Still managed to squeeze in some more Diesel at COSTCO in Epping at $152.7 a litre which was quite a bit more than our last fill, Ulp was $154.7 and 98 was a whacking $170.7 a litre but still way below other Servo's we saw as we headed off. most seemed 10 to 15 cents a litre higher and LPG was over 90 cents a litre.

After doing the trip up we only stayed for two days, did some business and got the house ready for the next visit and headed back to Melbourne and found when we again filled that COSTCO had upped the price of Diesel to the same as the ULP price $154.7 but the Megane only took just over 36 litres to fill so didn't really hurt the pocket and much accomplished during the brief trip.

As usual when we drove through Bundoora the two servos were much higher and LPG was up to 99.9 cents a litre, eek 9 cents higher than at most country outlets we saw on the way home.

Nice to get away from Melbourne for a few days. And back in time to see off one of my sons two Porsches, (944's) sad to see it go, but it hadn't moved for a couple of years and had been a favourite toilet target for the local bats and possums as it sat in the street outside our home, meant to put some fuel in the tank before it went away with the new owner, feel a bit of a cheapskate for forgetting to do that, must apologize when he picks up the other one and I get my off street garage space back.

Freedom for Christmas froggers. enjoy the driving.

Ken

On farm bulk delivery diesel 169c a litre, rebate of 4.3 cents available for farm use, plenty of diesel available for the harvest. Unlike in America where they have gone from near self sufficiency to desperately seeking fuel. They even had to buy five tanker loads of diesel from the Russians. I guess production will increase again to meet demand but we may see higher prices in the short term.

2nd Porsche 944 went today so have my offstreet parking back, my good lady of course wants to see more cars exit the property and I still have to dig out lots of spare Porsche parts, spare wheels and big fat tyres that had accumulated. The new owner didn't seem over fussed with the idea of storing spare 944 tyres..... anyway a rather easy job to remove the race hardened shell, no motor in it, but lots of potential for an enthusiast and it is easy when they had a trailer built to accommodate a 944.

I hope the current rain sodden ground doesn't ruin a bumper harvest Russell. I had hoped for a long hot dry summer of old, but it seems we are stuck with the La Nina wets, just when we could use better weather to give us a Covid free nice hot Summer -NSW has floods and now Qld getting exceptional flooding weather as well, people seem to just accept higher fuel prices and not much we can do about it, just add it to other complaints, at least we are released and the great spend has commenced in the run up to Christmas.:)

Ken.

Thank goodness for reduced need to drive lately, Had to drive out to the Airport at Tullamarine today and because my son has been driving mostly on short trips around the city, I hadn't noticed the Fuel gauge was low. at the airport a low fuel warning sounded so I took the first ramp off the freeway and put in $40 of Diesel at $165.9 a litre..:eek: at the Coles Express Shell, on Mickleham Road, and then followed that road till it became Cooper's Street Epping where I filled the tank at $148.7 cents a litre for Diesel, and noticed that Costco was selling 98 Ron at $159.7 and 91 Ron for $144.7 Not many vehicles filling up which seemed unusual - Just casually noting prices at the pump as we came back to Bell Street it seems prices were generally lower than those around the Western Suburbs. Traffic was very light for a Friday, perhaps Melbournites are still absent on extended holidays, Rain clouds were very threatening, but seemed we missed most of the storms that were predicted by the BOM.

Ken.

I checked my app last night and my 3008 has covered 1971km this year !!
Ensure you get cheaper insurance for less km's driven
My consumption has increased, I've had fun to 60km/hr :)
I've missed the freeway "on ramp" traffic control lights :(

Ken, that's cheap. 95 is currently $1.85 around here. Diesel's $1.71.

When you aren't going to cheaper suburbs any more, that hurts.

Ken, that's cheap. 95 is currently $1.85 around here. Diesel's $1.71.

When you aren't going to cheaper suburbs any more, that hurts.
Yes, that was also the feedback from Di in Tasmania also. My son indicated that he saw a garage selling discounted Fuel here, but on the opposite side of the divided highway somewhere around the Dandenong area, thought it was under the name "jetfuel" or similar name he thought. So yes there is apparently cheaper fuel around, but I do appreciate the Epping COSCO being available to me. Has saved me heaps more than the membership in the last three years.:p

Luck of the draw, and observing the LPG price that seems unusually high everywhere lately.

Stay safe and well Seasink !

Ken

Last diesel delivery Christmas Eve was down 14 cents a litre to 155.44, perhaps because the harvest is finishing. Adblue and driver shortages are possibly reducing truck usage, there are reports of logistics companies with parked trucks but there is no shortage of stock trucks to move the annual turn off of lambs and calves. We escaped the American shortage of diesel and spare parts.

I got some diesel in Murrurundi a couple of days ago at $1.449.
Cheapest i saw in Sydney was $1.549

I'm getting Diesel every 3 weeks, a week ago at $1.38 at CostCo