Corkscrew Road Review with 206 GTi

grillface

Tadpole
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum (although I've visited from time to time over the last few years) so I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this post - let me know if not.

A couple of friends and I have made a video of one of our favourite driving roads, Corkscrew Road in the Adelaide Hills, featuring my 206 GTi as the car we chose to take along.

For those of you who haven't been there, it's a fairly isolated piece of road that starts off fairly normally with medium-speed corners before climbing steeply up the side of a hill in a series of hairpins that give rise to the name 'corkscrew'. In other words, it is perfect for a small car like the 206, although I could use a little more torque coming out of those hairpins (or maybe I'm just going too slow haha).

Please let me know what you think about it. The plan is for us to do more videos, each time with a different road and a different car. Unfortunately I'm the only one of my friends with a French car (though my uncle has a RenaultSport Megane 225, I doubt he'll let me drive it...)

Here's the video:

Please let me know what you think about it.
You did ask...:D:blackeye:
It started off great, more of a movie than a vid, with interesting plot.
The voice over was well done, and well produced.
In fact, the whole thing was well produced, including the titles at the end, and the use of music you hold the copy write on.

However......

You completely lost me on the driving scene when all I could hear was underscore music, with no engine or car sound.
Maybe it was there, but on my computer's crappy speakers I could not hear it.
We may have similar tastes in cars and roads traveled, but my tastes in music (which is very different to yours) meant I just stopped watching the movie half way through rather than endure any more of the audio.

Kill the underscore on driving vids, unless you are actually driving to that soundtrack and it is blasting through the car stereo speakers.
Choose your music carefully too, It was not very appropriate, and in a few years time you may well cringe at it, like one cringes at a decade old movie with a dance scene.
The raw sound of the car driving through the hills is timeless.
Apart from that, it was great.

Jo

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your honest criticism.

To tell the truth, we were sort of flying off the cuff with making this video as neither my friend nor I have any experience in video making, nor filming cars. I agree with you with the exhaust noise though, and while we did record it this time and it did appear in several of the exterior shots (e.g. in the multiple hairpins of the corkscrew), exhaust noise is something that we will be improving for our next video.

I also love hearing the sound of the engine/exhaust while a car does its thing - that's why films like Climb Dance (yay Peugeot!) and Rendezvous are so awesome.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Last edited:

To tell the truth, we were sort of flying off the cuff with making this video as neither my friend nor I have any experience in video making,

Wow, it doesn't look like a 'first time' video.

I've seen and worked on (in my capacity as a composer) video's from tertiary level film students whose production standards were much lower than yours, so in that context, very well done. :headbang:

I'd be absolutely stoked with myself if that was my first video.

Jo

You did ask...:D:blackeye:
Choose your music carefully too, It was not very appropriate, and in a few years time you may well cringe at it, like one cringes at a decade old movie with a dance scene.
Jo
G'day,
golly , I liked 'Flashdance' when it came out. However, as you say, I may cringe now.
'High Noon' stands up OK though...:cool:

it's a fairly isolated piece of road that starts off fairly normally

It's hardly an isolated piece of road. As you do pass a few houses to get to the bottom of the Corkscrew. And some of those people have reported cars who, let's say, don't drive discreetly, when the roads haven't been closed for things like Classic or Targa. Also there is a neat story of two test pilots (in non-Euro cars) who had an "incident" travelling in opposite directions, thinking the Corkscrew was their own private test track. Apparently one of the insurance companies was interested in some of the Go-Pro footage.

To tell the truth, we were sort of flying off the cuff with making this video as neither my friend nor I have any experience in video making, nor filming cars. I agree with you with the exhaust noise though, and while we did record it this time and it did appear in several of the exterior shots (e.g. in the multiple hairpins of the corkscrew), exhaust noise is something that we will be improving for our next video.

I also love hearing the sound of the engine/exhaust while a car does its thing - that's why films like Climb Dance (yay Peugeot!) and Rendezvous are so awesome.

Thanks again for the feedback!
G'day,
I agree with Jo,
the final result is a very professional effort. It even shows well on full screen, something that can't be said for a lot of [most] videos.
How did you mount the camera?
Perhaps a little more zoom, just to increase the view ahead.
:cool:

Great effort especially for a first time. Liked the concept , storyline and execution.
Bring your car up this way and you can make a full length feature movie about the Gillies Range Road.

Paul

"A straight is merely the distance between two corners."

It's hardly an isolated piece of road. As you do pass a few houses to get to the bottom of the Corkscrew. And some of those people have reported cars who, let's say, don't drive discreetly, when the roads haven't been closed for things like Classic or Targa. Also there is a neat story of two test pilots (in non-Euro cars) who had an "incident" travelling in opposite directions, thinking the Corkscrew was their own private test track. Apparently one of the insurance companies was interested in some of the Go-Pro footage.

It was fairly quiet with only a handful of cars passing while we were doing our filming. There are a few houses in the area and I do not doubt that they have their fair share of crazies driving along the roads - you only have to visit YouTube to see how some of the other people drive along there.

We tried to keeps things as safe as possible while still being exciting though. You'll notice we never crossed the lines (hate those people) and always stayed to the speed limit.

pug206gti said:
How did you mount the camera?
Inside the car? We put it on a tripod and jammed that in between the two front seats. It worked a treat!
I will keep your suggestion for more zoom in mind when we make the next video for sure.

jo proffi said:
Wow, it doesn't look like a 'first time' video.

I've seen and worked on (in my capacity as a composer) video's from tertiary level film students whose production standards were much lower than yours, so in that context, very well done.

I'd be absolutely stoked with myself if that was my first video.

Thank you. We did make a video of my cat before, but nothing like this. I suppose we both have a long-standing interest in photography which may have helped!

and always stayed to the speed limit.

I would be impressed if you'd exceeded the limit on those hairpins.

As a reformed kamikaze cyclist who has a 5 stitch scar in his eyebrow to prove it, I would try and do this sort of thing on weekdays and if you're going to do corkscrew again, have someone at the top and bottom monitoring bike traffic, there's plenty of cyclists who overshoot the hairpins on the descent.

Oh, and nice vid.

I liked it a lot. Didn't mind the music but I trust Jo's more professional opinion on that matter. Agree more engine note may have been able to contribute more.

Filming generally good, and great sequencing. It didn't once get boring, which is a good feat considering it is a pretty boring subject to watch.

Obviously much better than our spontaneous compact camera filming attempt with the 207 on the N9 in France.

Oh, and I think you crossed (just) the double lines at one point. But not as bad as most drivers. :p

As a reformed kamikaze cyclist who has a 5 stitch scar in his eyebrow to prove it, I would try and do this sort of thing on weekdays and if you're going to do corkscrew again, have someone at the top and bottom monitoring bike traffic, there's plenty of cyclists who overshoot the hairpins on the descent.

Hrmmm yeah, that seems to be the biggest danger when driving on a road in the hills - the other people. I like riding my bike around town but I will still admit that cyclists in the hills can get on my nerves.

PL810 said:
Oh, and I think you crossed (just) the double lines at one point. But not as bad as most drivers.

Allegedly :p

Nice video and a great road to have a modicum of Fun on. Have been along there in Full Blood competition and 'Buy your Grandmother some new Undies' you can get some pace up!
As a Classic Adelaide with a Fire Breather such as a Rotary Mazda would make for an awesome video with enough camera's.
p.s. the Best sound track is sometimes the worst! Remember the Audi Quattro Rally vid with the Disco soundtrack? Sh*te music but awesome recall!:cheers:

I'm with Jo - it looked good until I heard the, er, marginal music. Who opens up a car driving video to listen to someone elses music choice ? I was even more bamboozled when I skipped to the end and saw all the trouble you went to, to get an exhaust noise.

You obviously went to a lot of trouble though assuming you only had one cam. The effort was appreciated. The fine choice of car helped as well !

Looking forward to the next effort.

Cheers

Justin