Coolant for a 2010 Koleos petrol engine

Bedford

Tadpole
I dont think the coolant in this car has ever been changed. Now 11 yrs old and 130,000 I think it proably should be changed but what type to use? The dealers records dont show any mention of it being changed and suggest it would not have been. They can't tell me if it is the original type or not. A radiator place is reluctant to tackle the job in case there is a problem with non compatible products. Any ideas ?

A quick search found a Renault dealer who sells the factory stuff on eBay. .

Thanks for the responses. I have now found a new dealer who has the correct product.

It is type D.
You won't find it at super cheap or repco

Jo

I dont think the coolant in this car has ever been changed. Now 11 yrs old and 130,000 I think it proably should be changed but what type to use? The dealers records dont show any mention of it being changed and suggest it would not have been. They can't tell me if it is the original type or not. A radiator place is reluctant to tackle the job in case there is a problem with non compatible products. Any ideas ?
11 YEARS???? Good grief. Where on earth was it serviced? Just so I can stay away.
What on earth is stopping people from standard maintenance practice?

Newcastle City Renault, Newcastle 2302. They are the new Renault agent here and say they have the correct product.

11 YEARS???? Good grief. Where on earth was it serviced? Just so I can stay away.
What on earth is stopping people from standard maintenance practice?

I can't recall and I'm not going out to the car in the cold to confirm, but I seem to remember that the Renault Koleos coolant change interval in the service book is about 10 years. It's not rubbish coolant and they aren't rubbish engines..........;)

Can you name them here? What coolant is it? I can't find anything type D available anywhere.
Type D is a class of coolant...I couldn't be bothered with remembering any other detail except to say it is readily available at dealers as a pre-mix, is an ultra premium product and if you ever strip down an engine containing it, it will look like new.
I'm sure you could use other brands and other types, but if you have access to the dealer network, just use the Type D.
Jo

I can't recall and I'm not going out to the car in the cold to confirm, but I seem to remember that the Renault Koleos coolant change interval in the service book is about 10 years. It's not rubbish coolant and they aren't rubbish engines..........;)
Ten years eh. I stand corrected!

Hi Bedford :)
I had to top up my coolant in the Captur a while ago and bought a 4ltr bottle (only option)from the Renault dealer. As I recall it was cheaper or same price as ordinary coolant from Supercheap. So I was chuffed. I still have most of it left if you want some. I am in Newcastle.
Do we have a new dealer ?? Better than the last one I hope ?? Multi franchise of mostly expensive brands, Renault ahh yes I believe we do those ! :mad: I just do it my self anyway except for the major service that was very poorly done and I doubt they did most of the details.
Jaahn

Hi Bedford :)
I had to top up my coolant in the Captur a while ago and bought a 4ltr bottle (only option)from the Renault dealer. As I recall it was cheaper or same price as ordinary coolant from Supercheap. So I was chuffed. I still have most of it left if you want some. I am in Newcastle.
Do we have a new dealer ?? Better than the last one I hope ?? Multi franchise of mostly expensive brands, Renault ahh yes I believe we do those ! :mad: I just do it my self anyway except for the major service that was very poorly done and I doubt they did most of the details.
Jaahn
Oui Je suis a Newcastle peut-être se rencontrer pour un café :)
Their coolant seems good value. It is supposed to last 8 yrs or 5000,000km ! I do my own regular services of oil and filter etc. I had the CVT serviced by a professional and I think I'll let a younger man do the drain flush and refill :)

Last edited:
Thank you seasink, I did eventually find those guys.

Jo, I tried searching for coolant type D just on the off chance I find something closer but no dice. My car is approaching 10 years so it may be time for a change. Is this used in the diesel Koleos engines too?

I might be wrong, but I suspect every post 2000 Renault is filled with type D from the factory.

Jo

Hi Jo I commented on my useless local dealer and this is an example. They would not sell me the coolant without checking the VIN on the computer. But as you said all Renault models have the same stuff ????? :mad: I asked how many different coolants there were and they said one !

I do believe the major difference for the type D is the european idea that you make things to last longer and minimise the waste of constant changing parts etc and the end product is to be as friendly as possible instead of a harmful substance.
Bedford I will PM you. :cool:
Jaahn

There is also the added EU legislation that it has to be recyclable (or some part of it). That is why I wanted to see what's in it so I can ascertain what else is compatible or comes close. Manufacturers however like to keep their cards close to their chest at least until new EU legislation comes into act that they have to make such info (part of the right to service legislation) freely available (in their market).