Control arm for 405 II

avidscavenger

Tadpole
I'm looking for advice about replacing a control arm that has apparently worn to the extent that the front bush (the cylindrical one) just slides in and out, and more alarmingly, moves about while driving. It must be said that when I bought this car there were a series of issues with the front right suspension and I'm guessing that it has taken a serious bump (no sign of body damage though).
Given what happened to the last one I'm a bit concerned about buying an aftermarket unit. Strangely my spare car (a 1996 model) has different sized hole where the ball joint attaches so no use (unless I replace the ball joint, but then I really should do both sides and my car will wind up a hybrid 1995/6 which doesn't appeal to me). Also I live in the bush and the car does a fair bit of corrugated roads so I'm keen to stick with quality suspension parts.
But locating a used part is proving difficult so maybe I will buy an aftermarket one.
I see that micksgarage.com has an Optimal brand unit that they can supply for less than $200 shipped, which seems like a very good price. I also got a quote from Eurocarcare for a Febi Bilstein unit for something like £122, ie around $230. But they are buying it from Germany, shipping to the UK then on to Australia. Surely I should be able to buy direct from Germany?
Anyway what I'd appreciate is advice on locating a used one or the quality of aftermarket units.
Thanks in advance.

You'd be lucky to get a good 2nd hand unit for a car over 25 years old. I'd go new, for a complete arm with bushes already pressed in.
Have you tried EAI in Australia for no air freight?
https://www.eai.net.au
Mick's is a good source. I'd also have a look at the Estonians, who do a quick delivery, eg Alvadi,
https://alvadi.ee/en/
or
Spareto, https://spareto.com

It will help your search if you know the Peugeot part number.

I am going through similar issues with a 406 - but my arms are still in good condition (rear bush was a different story). The list of brands (for both complete LCAs and bushes) available just from Spareto is downright astonishing, and it's hard for the amateur to know which ones are of good quality. I really don't want to be having to do this job again any time soon, so I'm not just fitting the cheapest.

I have settled on getting TRW bushes and ball joints (the balljoints are the same across 405s, 605s, Xantias and XMs) from Spareto and getting the bushes pressed in locally.

You definitely need original part numbers for navigating around these stores! Some (such as Alvadi) are very good at showing parts that suit your car, while Spareto in some cases requires a part number.

Apart from EAI, it may be worth trying some local online stores - Spares Box stocks 2 brands of LCA for the 406 - a cheap brand and Lemforders ($400 each!!!)

I'm looking for advice about replacing a control arm that has apparently worn to the extent that the front bush (the cylindrical one) just slides in and out, and more alarmingly, moves about while driving. It must be said that when I bought this car there were a series of issues with the front right suspension and I'm guessing that it has taken a serious bump (no sign of body damage though).
Given what happened to the last one I'm a bit concerned about buying an aftermarket unit. Strangely my spare car (a 1996 model) has different sized hole where the ball joint attaches so no use (unless I replace the ball joint, but then I really should do both sides and my car will wind up a hybrid 1995/6 which doesn't appeal to me). Also I live in the bush and the car does a fair bit of corrugated roads so I'm keen to stick with quality suspension parts.
But locating a used part is proving difficult so maybe I will buy an aftermarket one.
I see that micksgarage.com has an Optimal brand unit that they can supply for less than $200 shipped, which seems like a very good price. I also got a quote from Eurocarcare for a Febi Bilstein unit for something like £122, ie around $230. But they are buying it from Germany, shipping to the UK then on to Australia. Surely I should be able to buy direct from Germany?
Anyway what I'd appreciate is advice on locating a used one or the quality of aftermarket units.
Thanks in adva
Thanks in advance.
May be available locally, I buy 205 Si complete LCAs for less than $100 delivered. Have a look around on E bay.

Thanks for the helpful replies.
A couple of follow-up questions:
1. Is there any website or other way of finding the original Peugeot part number?
2. Some sources refer to the "cone size" - I presume this is the width at the upper/widest point of the tapered hole where the ball joint attached? I could confirm with calipers, hopefully without having to remove the ball joint. Can anyone confirm?
Cheers!