Continuous Wheelspin - LSD for the 205?

WRX2PUG

Fellow Frogger
Hi guys. Well this weekend was my first motorsport weekend in the new (old) 205. Nothing too serious - autokhana type stuff. Admittedly it's a 1.9 CTi (cabriolet) so doesn't have the torsional rigidity of the GTi but I couldn't believe the amount of wheelspin that I continuously got all the way through and out of corners making decent exit speed impossible.

Is this normal and is there a way of 'dialing it out' with firmer suspension or is an LSD the only way and are these available?

Gotta fix this before adding any more power :)

Many thanks
Steve

You can get an LSD for it via Peugeot Sport - check out the catalogue here:

<a href="http://www.peugeot306.demon.co.uk/ng98/pugcat.html#205" target="_blank">http://www.peugeot306.demon.co.uk/ng98/pugcat.html#205</a> TRANSMISSION

It's $550 pounds.

I'd look at slicks/semi slicks before going that far though, and some slightly stiffer springs (like Eibach). If you can afford it, H&R springs will be firmer and will need to be coupled with stiffer shocks like Bilsteins or Koni Yellows - you ride comfort will go to crap though. The upside is the car will have less of a tendency to roll and this will help traction on your inner tyre.

Going stiffer with swaybars will mean better balance and swifter directional changes through less roll (like springs), and in most cases a more enjoyable ride... but at the expense of inner tyres having less grip (it will have a tendency to lift inner wheels more). This won't be good for traction.

Are you running 14"s on the CTI?, What are your tyres like (tread/quality)?

I'd don't really have any problems with traction in my 205 in any circumstances....even with the decidedly average (in traction and tread now :D ) Simexs on my car......

IMHO LSDs in FWD cars are less convincing than they are in a RWD car....in alot of cases with many FWD cars being relatively low power (<110kw) the extra traction takes them off-boil/cam in corners.....and in wet/slippery conditions they are more prone to understeer unless you have a heap of power....

Perhaps it's a CTI thing?
________
E-CIGARETTE STORE

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Wow the parts list at PeugeotSports is worth drooling over :)

Yes, I was running the standard 14" Rims and the tyres certainly aren't great and I think the suspension on the car is pretty old.

My previous car was a modified WRX STi on R-spec tyres so I'm slightly spoilt in terms of handling (and power). The CTi, given that it's a convertible obviously doesn't have the same torsional rigidity as the standard GTi but I didn't quite expect it to be as bad as it was through the slaloms and around the corners - I basically had at least one wheel spinning literally all the way around the track and just couldn't get power to the ground. :confused:

Current plans are:
1) To fit 15" or 16" Rims with R-spec tyres
2) To fit the GTi front subframe and suspension as I believe the CTi has the same front suspension as the lower spec Si cars.
3) To lower the rear by adjusting the rear torsion beam by 1 spline.
4) To fit decent springs and shocks - I hear a lot about eibach - is their kit good? Any other recommendations re price/performance?

I'm just hoping that these mods will be enough to provide the good handling I'm after - I'd be confident if it was a normal GTi - just not sure about the CTi though and unfortunately I don't think there are many other CTis in Australia?
mallet
Cheers