Compression ratio for modified Mi16

You may find you need to rid the resonator as its designed to work with the rest of ths kit. Ie the Gti6 hedders and the inlet pipework that has another resonator on it. It will still work, the pulse timing may be off here and there due to this but lets see. Do you have an Mi16 iet manifold there to test side by side? I would be looking at that also if you still running MI16 8 pipe headers? These engines seem to be fussy with inlet length and shape. (Probably like most)

Addian did you guys see an improvement with the Satchell manifold over the other manifold Parry was using before switching?

Last edited:
Adrian was close. Same power as before 105 kw but at 6400 rather than 6800, so power around 6000 was obviously higher, a bit less around 5400 but a fair bit more down around 4000 and a little bit more below that. The air filter arrangement we cobbled up was hopeless so the runs were done without it, ITBs had a good Pipercross set up. Really good further improvement with 5 degrees advance on the inlet cam, no less power at 6400 but slightly quicker drop off from there and more power almost everywhere else with some really good increases. The car feels a lot more responsive at medium revs on light throttle, first gear take off particularly good. A bit flat at the top end but I put the filter back on before driving it so some of this would disappear with a better intake arrangement. I reckon this manifold on a standard road 405 Mi16 would make climbing hills much easier because of the part throttle torque, maybe the plastic box working. Final advantage is that the brakes feel better due to the greater vacuum available. So worthwhile for this car on gravel I'll keep the other project motor and try it in something else, Autocross or rallycross car perhaps. Maybe able to fit a better inlet manifold into a 405 body, lightweighted of course.
4.8 FD gearbox ready to fit and hopefully that will be the development phase finished.
I'll put the graphs up when I have some time, just got home.
Checkered Tuning in Keysborough did the tune, they are really good, did it all in about 3 hours, starting from nothing in the way of maps. Trent really knows his stuff.

OK, where is the air cleaner in a stock GTi6? seems to be underneath the slam panel. I'm thinking that at least some of the stock parts may be usuable to create a decent inlet system.

You may find you need to rid the resonator as its designed to work with the rest of ths kit. Ie the Gti6 hedders and the inlet pipework that has another resonator on it. It will still work, the pulse timing may be off here and there due to this but lets see. Do you have an Mi16 iet manifold there to test side by side? I would be looking at that also if you still running MI16 8 pipe headers? These engines seem to be fussy with inlet length and shape. (Probably like most)

Addian did you guys see an improvement with the Satchell manifold over the other manifold Parry was using before switching?

OK, where is the air cleaner in a stock GTi6? seems to be underneath the slam panel. I'm thinking that at least some of the stock parts may be usuable to create a decent inlet system.

It sits down low in front of the gearbox. I looked at it but couldn't see any way to make enough room for it in a 205.

Thanks Richard, I have space just behind the grill, radiator is below this and gets its air from the intake below the bumper. I need a sharp 90 degree or more RH turn from the throttle body, the electric PAS pump sits fairly close, and then a decent filter assembly. That plastic inlet going over the slam panel hopefully will be useful in some way or is that just another resonator?

My recollection is that the GTi6 kit is all the wrong shape to fit.

If you've got a shortened radiator and therefore have access to cold air coming directly through the grill over the top of the radiator, why do you need the snorkel? Can you build a box for a panel filter that would sit above the radiator and take cold air directly through the grill? Or why isn't there room for a more traditional arrangement like mine shown below?

If you went to a lithium battery that would save 10kg and create lots of room where the lead acid battery normally sits to locate your electric power steer?

Cold air intake - front view.jpg

Its very tight around the throttle body due to the Astra power steering pump mounted nearby. Only got 100mm of space to achieve a 90 degree turn. The crinkle plastic hose fits fine but not ideal for airflow, although probably the cobbled up connector (due to getting a time slot at the tuners at close notice) to what is not an ideal filter is having a worse effect. Yes, panel filter is the way to go but just looking for bits and pieces to make connecting to it easier/better.

Battery is in the back of the car already. Your setup looks neat, luckily I have some more fore aft room in the 309, I couldn't
do what I want to with a 205.

Yes, been putting off getting them on line, need to reduce file size which is always a pain and they are not that readable anyway. I'll have a go.

intke comparo 2.jpg

That was easy after all. Silver with small dots is the Jenveys, Grey with dashes is the GTi6 manifold, Red is the final after inlet cam advanced 5 degrees. Tried advancing exhaust cam but only minor improvement below 2000 and killed top end so a failure. So a good improvement even though a lot of it could have done with the cam timing alone as Adrian said. TBs give no improvement to power but keep it going at higher revs. It is much more responsive at part throttle now too. I think the changes will make the car more drivable and liveable for something that is driven on roads not just race tracks. I will keep the rest of the modified bits and probably put them in an autocross/ rallycross car. The plan is to build a high capacity XU10. 91 stroker billet crank, with 87 or 88 mm bore. Does anyone know if you can fit an XU9J4 head onto an XU10J2 block?

Last edited:
Given that a stock DFW gives 80 kw I guess this stock D6C spec is doing pretty good at 106Kw.

Thanks peter,
I've got an 8 valve already, head will be going to Craig. Cambelt covers you mean?

Graham, what injectors are you running on that engine? If they are the standard yellow top injectors, at 105kW they would be extremely close to 100% duty.

Maximum duty cycle is actually 85% If they are standard 1.9L injectors, they wouldn’t have made it past approx. 185hp, in multipoint/batch mode.

Given that a stock DFW gives 80 kw I guess this stock D6C spec is doing pretty good at 106Kw.

No doubt this is a dumb question, but isn't that an understatement? If my J4RS with cams, custom management and increased compression gives 110Kw ATW, how is it that a stock 8V can give 106Kw? Or is that adjusted to estimate flywheel power?

At the wheels, it is an XU9 16valve of course, couldn't fit the manifold otherwise. Yes, standard GTi6 injectors and pressure regulator.
I could have fitted the bigger ones from the throttle bodies but didn't see how a stock D6C would need more fuel than a J4RS.
You would expect 105 kw with the big ITBs but interesting that power is the same with the GTi6 manifold.

I put my XU10J2 powered 405 SRi an the same dyno for a power run as a matter of interest, because it went so well and the power was 65 kw so I don't think the dyno is optimistic.

Last edited: