Come Race Your Frenchy! 18/2, SMSP

Ah well I had fun, with a bit of water the place is very different.

Here's a couple of laps following some SunBeams before getting a good look at that Lexus I was initially interested in (@~3m mark) A slippery landing had me correcting slightly, you can see where he probably started getting on the gas it was enough to turn him around.

As you know the night was designed as a friendly Supersprint, I enjoyed myself following some dudes around. Was glad to see I could carry enough speeds through the corners and brake late enough to make up more the lost ground with there bigger engines, more or less :p

And Baldrick!, he had a pretty big grin on him, I reckon he'll be in to explain later.

I bailed just as the track was starting to dry (my excuses out of the way) so the quickest Frenchy goes to Andrew in his 206 Gti, with a 1m27. Chris's Gordini was sploshing fuel (I reckon he could have gone faster) and settled with a 1m29, Baldridk in his super MG ZR160 did a 1m34, and I managed a 1m36.

Was a fun little night.

Oh I put the leaner air correctors in and she was reving out a little better, will be good to test properly once it's dryer. I gave up at the end as it was cutting out around corners and at WOT. It feels like the float is low, it's measured within what Weber reckons, I'll have a fiddle, maybe it was just low on fuel. :s

See you at the next one!

Attachments

• HSRCA Results.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 188
Fantastic night - and prelude to a good nights sleep - boy was I tired after all that adrenaline :)
off topic but a quick techno question - my dashcam has ".AVI" files which dont seem to want to upload in the "Attach Files" button {greyed out" does anyone know if it can be done?
Regards,
Rob

Ah I reckon they will be too big for the upload limit here, easiest way is to just upload them to Youtube. You just need a @gmail address then it's pretty straight forward once you are at the YouTube page.

Not wrong re a good nights sleep! :p

Oh if you ever wanna sell that MG, guy at works wants it :D

Last edited:
What a great afternoon / evening! Definitely slept well and great to meet you guys!
Definitely a nervous first session with that very wet track - good learnings.
Have to get more of us next time!

Would love to see some of that footage! Youtube would definitely be the go!

Yep, what a fun event. Sure it was wet but very enjoyable. Any day you get to drive on an international race track is a great day.
The R8 G drew a lot of attention and comment, even from the opposition. The Alfa fan from Canada who drove from Terrigal had to sit in the drivers seat of the R8G to send a pic to the folk back home. Wayne Seabrook, the outright winner in his Rennmax F2 called in before his last run to share stories of modified R8's and 10's back in the day. I can't believe the number of people who were really excited to see a fast R8G competing at a circuit event. Lots of cheering and clapping when it rolled past some of the pit garages. I was around 13th outright before putting it away before the last run on a much drier track. It is just a road car, standard brakes etc.

Now I just hope there is some youtube footage from those cars I went skidding past in the really wet sessions ?

Yep, what a fun event. Sure it was wet but very enjoyable. Any day you get to drive on an international race track is a great day.
The R8 G drew a lot of attention and comment, even from the opposition. The Alfa fan from Canada who drove from Terrigal had to sit in the drivers seat of the R8G to send a pic to the folk back home. Wayne Seabrook, the outright winner in his Rennmax F2 called in before his last run to share stories of modified R8's and 10's back in the day. I can't believe the number of people who were really excited to see a fast R8G competing at a circuit event. Lots of cheering and clapping when it rolled past some of the pit garages. I was around 13th outright before putting it away before the last run on a much drier track. It is just a road car, standard brakes etc.

Now I just hope there is some youtube footage from those cars I went skidding past in the really wet sessions ?
Sorry Bustamif you went past me too fast for the frame-rate of my camera to even register you were there :ROFLMAO:

OK Bustamif - I lied about the framerate - even though its only an el-cheapo from Officeworks it still found you (about 45 sec in) :)

and here's another with more 206 action:

and externally - the 'Launchpad'

Also - from the grandstand - spoiler alert - possibly no Frenchies in this one :eek:

cheers, Rob

And here's a still from the grandstand:-
DSCN0271 copy.JPG

No reason not to join the fun. A very high standard of driving. Despite many first timers on a race track, everyone drove to the conditions and within their own comfort level.

With such a huge difference in the type of cars and their specifications, no crazy passing moves and no aggressive driving.

I should add that their COVID safety plan was very high standard, briefing notes before event, follow briefings over the p.a virtually no contact apart from your own crew during the event.

Agree Chris, was very polite. Something about old dudes being respectful or something :p

HSRCA are reporting they are happy enough, enough to investigate doing it again which is great.

You'll come play this time :)

Next time I may bring the Lotus/Renault. Those lights around the track work well. I only used the parking lights on the R8G to save some power draw from the alternator. It makes a slight difference in top speed down the long straight.

Before I run the Lotus around a track I will need to check over the caliper seals and fit a new clutch, if I can find some spare time.

And yes the circuits lights ain't bad, you experienced it at it's worst also with the weather as it was. Naturally when it's dry you get a bit more bounce back of the track.

Me and some Volvo mates (S40, 242, and a 740) are heading out again on the 18th / March.

It's an ARDC members track night (again run by Driving Solutions), 1830-2230 but this time on the extended Brabham circuit. Ya gotta be a ARDC member for these ones, assuming you still are Chris? Is that enough time to sort the Lotus?