Come Race Your Frenchy! 18/2, SMSP

Bowie

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Thursday night, 18th Feb, The HSRCA (Historic Sports and Racing Car Association) have organised a club track night that is open to the public. This is a bit different as they are using our track day provider (Driving Solutions) to run it for them, especially in effort to get new old cars and peeps out there.

This is important because outside of the CAMS (Motorsports Australia) format, well one doesn't need a log booked, or even a rego'd car to come play at these track nights. I mean it can be, but it's not a requirement. You don't need a competitive license from CAMS (only a state issue drivers license) and you don't need to pour over sub-regs to work out if you are going to fit in a category or if those tyres are allowed or any of that crap.

You really can push the car onto a trailer, (or drive it there) turn up with a helmet and long sleeves, sign a waiver and your out on the track having a ball! All in all it's an excellent initiative to get folks out there playing with their cars and meeting other folks whom also like dumb ol' cars.

I'm supporting this because I dam well wish this is something the ARDC was doing already. It's a bloody great idea and it deserves to be well received.

Oh the price! It took $178 of my credit card, I'm sure it will yours too.

They have booked the North Circuit, which is very polite on tyres and the flip flop, it's actually fun! You hit the curb turning left (where you'd normally be turning right) then up over the slight rise you are greeted with the off camber gentle right hander that makes your tummy feel like you are on a swing as an 8yr old :D By the time you are at turn 18 you are going faster then you would usually and you can run wide and throw it over the curb just because! :D

I understand they are running it in a kinda sprint format (~20 cars at a time on the track, released with gaps with faster cars at the front) so you should not be help up nor hold up anyone. All very polite and nice. I understand timing will be provided so you can see how your going / brag about it here later. :D

So come on New South Welsh Folk! Come join my SuperPos Reno12. We'll take photos and talk sh1t.

Oh! I should have said why this is different from regular Track nights!

Well it's cheaper (track nights are normally ~$270) and because the kids don't know what the HSRCA is, it won't be busy with young investment bankers in skylines and lambo's throwing them wide all over the place.

Yaaaay! :D

Its a shame i'm a 1000 Km away or I would be in, would love to see the difference in times between my R12 and yours Bowie.

We are a varied national lot aren't we!

Well, you lot are always welcome! Race tracks need more old cars :p

Reactions: COL
Well I have entered. It will be interesting to see where they classify my 1968 R8 G. I think it will be 4th gear most of the time on the track layout for this event. Can't wait to see how fast the Bowie R12 is.

Hehe!

I'm sure you'll be watching a white smudge get smaller and smaller and smaller in your rear view.

And we now have an 8 and a 12, someone bring a 10, maybe a 15, then I suppose we need a 17, alright alright and a 16.

Is there a car age limit, i.e. would a 2003 Clio Sport be acceptable?

Is there a car age limit, i.e. would a 2003 Clio Sport be acceptable?
As far as I am aware the organisers will group cars at their discretion. There is no mention of any car age limits on the link above. I guess they will evaluate entries then adjust groups if necessary after the first run or two.

Confident you'd be welcomed. They have been speaking to this as getting folks into the club and motorsport in general, Clios will be historic soon enough :p

Renooooooh's
8 - Bustamif
10 - YOUR NAME HERE
12 - Bowie
15 - YOUR NAME HERE
16 - YOUR NAME HERE (can I have a go?)
17 - YOUR NAME HERE
Fuego - YOUR NAME HERE
Clio - Matt205
Megs - YOUR NAME HERE

PuGoooooooes
504 - YOUR NAME HERE (can I have a go?)
505 - YOUR NAME HERE
205 - YOUR NAME HERE
306 - YOUR NAME HERE
MI16 - YOUR NAME HERE (faster then a Xsara?)
GTI's - YOUR NAME HERE (you know 207,208,30? I've lost track of them all :S)

Cits
DS - YOUR NAME HERE (I double triple dare you!)
SM - YOUR NAME HERE (are there any of these around?)
CX - YOUR NAME HERE (just to pwn the DS)
AX - YOUR NAME HERE (how cool are these things)
BX - YOUR NAME HERE
Xantia - YOUR NAME HERE
Xsara - YOUR NAME HERE (Fastest Frenchy?)
C's - YOUR NAME HERE

Entry is pretty cheap, and I reckon some of you have had meals worth more then the entry price.

Come play on a Thursday night :D

Last edited:
By way of further description of the event, this is what I received today in an email from the promoter.

A reminder that whilst timing will be provided, we must approach this event as non-racing and to be enjoyed with respect to entrants with little or no track experience. Overtaking will only be allowed on the straights.

Grids will not be in the usual historic categories. They will be developed once we receive your entries, with regard to speed and type.

So are you getting your things ready?

Would you just look at this;

This, I discovered this entire time, has been running without the distributor vacuum advance feed plugged. It was split and sucking air in for who knows how long.

AMAZING!

Borrowing the facilities at my work I was able to also clean up something that had been annoying for a while. I never painted behind the lights. And now the lights are removed, bits of sage gray peeked on through, not any more;

And no I won't trim the bottoms of those bonnet pins, I use them to get the bonnet into position. :p

Looking at that I'm very temped now to cut a hole in the bonnet and make some kind of "sky box" sealing the filter from the engine bay. I may just settle for a plastic pipe blasting fresh air at it.

Oh so many things to play with!

Get your frenchies ready and come play :)

We've got these huge generators we turn on when clients run vehicles without lights (most race bikes for instance) just for the off chance the grid falls down (only twice during thunder storms in my time ~4yr)

With the generators running we are left with ~20% light volume, designed to get folks back into the pits safely before we all go raid the fridges for any soon to be melted ice creams.

And yep, I understand they are planning to welcome open wheeler's without headlights to this event also.

Reactions: COL
I could be up for this in the 205 road car for something slow and fun! Confirmation tba