Clutch replacement on 405

avidscavenger

Tadpole
Hello all,

I'm thinking of buying my first Peugeot since a 505 I sold about 20 years ago. Here is the ad: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camillo/cars-vans-utes/peugeot-405-srdt/1217061975 My interest in this car is that apparently they run very well on veg oil. I've had a couple of Mercedes W123 on veg oil but my current one is a 1977 model and getting a bit tired. Hence the attraction of the Peugeot.

Anyway I wanted to ask whether anyone had tips regarding the new clutch that it apparently needs. I've never changed the clutch on an engine like that (front-wheel drive with transverse engine). I can imagine it might be simpler than on a regular rear wheel drive in that you only need to jack up the front of the car and not the whole vehicle, and the driveshafts and gearbox itself are smaller and lighter. But it might also be very fiddly in there. Or is it possible that the problem isn't the clutch at all and just a cable that needs adjustment? Any suggestions?

I've tried finding a service manual online but could only find a PDF missing the relevant chapter. Paper editions can be bought fairly cheaply but will probably take more than 2 weeks to arrive from the UK to here in regional WA.

Many thanks,

They are getting oldish now, so you'll likely have to do a bit of servicing.

Here is a manual extract for the gearbox. It's more fiddly than RWD as there are two shafts and the suspension in the way, as well as stuff under the bonnet.

box1.jpg box2.jpg

Best way is to drop the subframe, you will have plenty of room then. Disconnect the bottom of the struts and the steering arms.Leave the rack sitting on the steering column.