Clutch problems in 306?

GTI124

who? when? huh?
1000+ Posts
Has anyone else had problems with the clutch on the 306, mainly the GTi6? Appears we need a new clutch after 50000kms. It's quite annoying...

Knowing how you launched my car, I'm not surprised wink

150 000km is normal for an "average" clutch, but it can be much much less depending on driving style.

What are you up for? $800ish?

Derek.

Lincoln

sorry to hear that. :(
Did you have problems with the clutch cable sticking? if you did I would have thought that partially compressed clutch could be burning itself off. Hence the reason for used up clutch. I have done 64,000kms and all seems fine, touch wood *taps himself on the head*. wink

My S16 has done 154,000 and I believe it is on it's first clutch. I wouldnt of thought it was replaced before 100,000. I hope it lasts a while longer if it is original because I am very careful with it, matching revs at every change and taking off with 1,500rpm or less 'most' of the time tongue and only once have I chirped second gear forcfully.

Hey! Don't blame me for it! Derek, I don't think there was anything hard about what I did to your car, just revved it out and stepped off...beat a Cliosport, didn't I??? There were two owners before me and my feeling is they weren't very apt at driving manuals.

Looks like it's going to cost $1200.

The clutch is sticking and not coming back up...or disengaging correctly. That is, the pedal stays down after letting it out. The point also moves. Going into first the point is right next to the floor and if i can't get enough leverage on the pedal I'll crunch reverse. Once moving, the point is higher and barely noticeable.

Seems there's a problem with the pressure plates. We changed the clutch cable (Paul HATES cable clutches, btw, and I can see why) at the last service, but that hasn't fixed the stickiness.

Reading some of the customer sat surveys on some of the websites out there, appears it a relatively common problem on the GTi6.

My XSi clutch looks like it is just about through but as far as I'm aware it's done the full 180,000km that the car has. The lower power of the XSi probably means it lasts a little longer than the GTi6 plus the previous owners treated this car very well.

I was quoted somewhere in the vicintiy of a grand for the replacement.

My 205 SI has its original clutch at 210000km.
Still plenty of bite and, this is more surprising, the cable actuation is perfectly smooth.
Graham Wallis

GTI124:

Looks like it's going to cost $1200.
Lincon, its not you car is it mate?
well just incase i had a heavyduty Gti-6 clutch put into my S16 which went @ 100,000k's. its a recoated gti=6 clutch, similar process on how grpA clutches are rebuilt.
The new one has lasted 15,000ks , several track days, x3 unofficial drag meets, and lots of enthusiastic(spel?) driving!!
Cost me $1300 installed at Northshore rally sport and it still feels awesome....
good luck cheers chris

Car all fixed now. You're looking at at least $1500+ for this work. Found the problem was springs in the clutch, rather than the cliutch itself. Someone has been doing hard launches in our car...no, not me! I'd never ever do that...