Clio sport or 206gti????

neil

Fellow Frogger
Hi all, currently I own a 205gti and through work have now a need for a company car. I have been looking at either a Clio sport or the 206gti and would like to hear responses from current owners of either or people who know more about the two.

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

It's been over a week and no one's replied so even though I haven't driven the perfomance models, I have driven both those cars.

2 years ago I drove a 206XR 1.4 manual for about 3000km in the UK, and even though I found it underpowered, it was quite ok given the UK is relatively flat. It was a good fun drive, and at the time (it hadn't been released long) it certainly was a funky looking little car. I thought room in the back was a little cramped, but the boot seemed reasonable, as was the stock stereo. The wipers on 206's are converted for RHD.

My sister has a Clio Expression manual she bought about 2-3 months ago. I find it an even better car to drive, and great fun to throw into the corners. I'd imagine the RenaultSport model is even better! Hers is also 1.4, but it seems to perform far far better than 206's 1.4. It has a much better sound system that is easier to use (with Renault Satellite controls). The electric power steering is fantastic I think, although from memory the RenaultSport might have conventional hydraulic power steering. The room in the back seat is about the same as the 206, but I guess you don't buy these cars for more than 2 people really. The Clio also has better pedal positioning (you may have heard the 206 has cramped pedals). The Clio's wipers are not converted for RHD, but they are mounted on a cam system that means they do wipe a huge amount of the windscreen.

All in all I'd go the Clio over the 206 in their standard form and so I'd definately do the same in the perfomance models!

Any other questions about them give us a yell.

Derek.

Neil,

This may be of interest.....

<a href="http://www.4car.co.uk/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=110&pageid=165" target="_blank">206gti/Clio Sport compared</a>

Cheers
Chris

Neil,

I own a Clio Sport and cannot say enough good things about it.

It is a bit small, the back seat is useless, but for the performance, included goodies and price I am over the moon. Insurance is also pretty cheap.