clio rattles

charles

Fellow Frogger
hi .has anyone heard of cat convertor rattles in a clio sport.i have a customer thinking of buying one still under warranty and they are telling him its normal and dont worry about it.ive told him to get it checked out as cats dont rattle unless something is crook.any body else had this fault.

Charles it should be covered under the warranty. If the converter is making noises it needs replacing. Find it hard to believe its gone on the car already though.

The honeycomb stuff on the inside breaks down and goes hard causing it to harden & rattle like a marble in a can. Very annoying. Renault should check this out as it will not do the car any good... :p

There was something on the English RS Clio list about rattles from the cat area. In some cases it turned out to be a dud cat and another it was excessive movement of the motor on its mounts and the exhaust hitting the undertray.

The well worn excuse of "they all do it" just doesn't cut any mustard. Any rattle is a design fault or part failure and should be able to be resolved or properly explained.

thanks guys for your help,im going to check the car out possibly in the next few days ill let you know how i got on.

Hi

A guy that bought a Clio Sport new last year has had a similar problem. Renault have had the car numerous times,to find this small rattle. They do think it is something with the exhaust resonance, but not the cat!

I am not sure if he has got it fixed yet, as he is away in Europe.

Regards

Luke

PS - They are still one hell of a car though.

ok,i checked it out and it does have a slight rattle in the resonator behind the cat if you thump it with your hand,slight, but the new possible buyer was a bit worried reno has told the current owner dont worry about it.its got three years warranty so they should sort it out before then i hope.

I'm wondering if the PO has engaged the car in a bit of low flying and knocked the system around a bit which is making Renault a bit reluctant about replacing it.