Clio 1.4L

Sp33dY

Fellow Frogger
Anyone got one?

Im about to buy either a Peugeot 206 or a Clio 1.4L. I woudl LOVE a 1.6... but financed dont stretch THAT far.

Was just wondering if anyone on these boards has one? I was very impressed after a test drive - although they arent that powerful.. they felt a lot more comfortable than a Peugeot 206.

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the 1.4L Expression (Manual of course!) ?

Sp33dy from MCCR?

Welcome,

For the price of either of these new 1.4s you may be able to buy a slightly older 206 1.6, keep in mind early 206s had an 8v 1.6.
I think even the 8v 1.6 would be better than the 1.4 though.

<small>[ 08 August 2002, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>
________
couple Cams

Last edited:
yer.. i wannan buy a "NEW" car.... not second hand... :) thats the reason for a 1.4L.. and the 1.6L is about 4-5K more after on road costs and so on.

DTwo - didnt u used to have a Skyline or something at one stage.. or i saw u on some echo forums or something?!?!
What do u drive now?

<small>[ 08 August 2002, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Sp33dY ]</small>

The 1.6 would only be a year or so old and be lucky if it's been run in.....at what point does a car become "old"? wink

Either of the 1.4s are a better (marginally faster) car than an Echo (1.3) though roll_lau

-You probably saw me around the Mccr forums for a while there, I drive a 205GTI.

<small>[ 08 August 2002, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:
id still prefer a Clio over a peugeot at this stage.... i feel a bit claustrophobic in a peugeot (im 6 foot 1 and pretty big).. Plus the clio will look better slammed on the ground with big wheels :)

I like the clio 1.4. In europe they even have them powered at 1.0, 1.2. They are quite a heavy car also. Laden with all kinds of luxury items.

I like them though and I also like the auto (as everyone would imagine). Good car. I think you should look at some other cars though IMOO I think new cars are a waste of Money especially Renaults & most others.
Look at the R25 when new about 80k now in 2002. under 5k. a_drink

Hi Guys,

I can't comment on tne current model, but I did lease a 1.4 Clio manual in France in 2000. I was surprised at the performance really,had no problems on the autoroute or around town for that matter (except when I ripped off the front passengers side suspension on a low rock wall by the side of the road in a small village...that was fun, but exposed a great repair network) certainly comfortable and roomy. Drove like a dream and I felt like driving it was fun as opposed to the run of the mill japmobiles I used to drive for work.

I guess I'd part with the money willingly if a new car was a priority. cheers!

Sp33dY:
Anyone got one?

Im about to buy either a Peugeot 206 or a Clio 1.4L. I woudl LOVE a 1.6... but financed dont stretch THAT far.

Was just wondering if anyone on these boards has one? I was very impressed after a test drive - although they arent that powerful.. they felt a lot more comfortable than a Peugeot 206.

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the 1.4L Expression (Manual of course!) ?

Daniel,

You LIKE the auto? Have you driven the auto =)

Personally I find the 206 a more spacious car (especially in the rear where the Clio is hopeless, IMHO). But in practically every other aspect, the Clio's better - as long as you can cope with the strange nose.

Fairly refined, nice sounding engine (well different to others), wonderful ride, nice interior (certainly better than the 206's Lada plastics) and much better value for money.

Just wondering, what prices have you been offered - I've got a good idea what a low price should be.

Anyone heard about how Renault's finding it hard to shift Clio Sports? 206 GTi isn't easy to find though.

Cheers,

Justin

Renault is having trouble shifting Sports?

I can't see how that's possible....they have had the best press imaginable and they're all over the place in Melbourne (Richmond/Sth yarra) anyway).

When I was looking at them the Renault guys told me they were raising the price to "slow down" demand as they only intended to sell 100 or so per year....

Peugeot seem to be selling a steady stream of 206GTIs too.....
________
Web shows

Last edited:
Sp33dY:
Plus the clio will look better slammed on the ground with big wheels :)
Well, I hope you don't, as I think it might ruin its wonderful ride clown

mallet

I'm sure you'll find you don't need to "slam" a French car to the ground to make it handle well :D roll_lau

Sp33dy,

My sister's got a Clio Expression 1.4 manual - about 2 or 3 months old now.

It doesn't go quite as well as my 306 with the 8v 1.8L engine, but it's up there. One thing I notice is you need higher revs to get similar performance - comes from the peak torque being at higher revs than the 306. From memory the 306 is 3000rpm, I'd say the Clio is 4000 or maybe even 4500rpm.

I'm very impressed with the Clio 1.4. I'd say it's much more like a 1.6 engine in performance :) Drives very nicely as well.

I'm 5'10 and don't have any problems with room in the driver's seat in the Clio.

Derek.

I was surprised to hear about the Sport (considering the press is pretty much as good as it gets), but I've been reading on the 206 GTi list that Renault dealers are throwing $2500 discounts at you before you open your mouths.

Secondly, there are no supply issues - want a car, it's there basically.

206GTis have wait lists, and well discounting isn't easy it seems.

I was surprised myself - but then, having seen some of the prices for Clio Sport demos, maybe it's not entirely surprising.

Cheers,

Justin

I have recently purchased a Clio Expression to go with my MX5 and Alfa Sprint.I wanted to like 206's but the poor driving position and the ordinary finish put me off.
The Clio is brilliant,goes well although does need to work between 3000-6000 revs for brisk performance.Otherwise it is smooth and tractable using low revs.Great handling and brakes but uncommunicative clutch(at this stage the only thing I don't like)
There are good deals out there but I think it is because of reasonable supply rather than any problems with the car.Speak to a Peugeot dealer about what they think of launching cars without stock!
I went for the 1.4 becuase it did all I want and gave be some money to put more attractive wheels and tyres (195/50 Michelins) on it.
My advice buy it ,you will not be sorry.
Peter