Cleaning dirty fuel tanks

Dirty tanks must be a petrol thing. When I pulled the sender out of my old 504 diesel after 25 years the bottom of the tank was as clean as new.
It sure is a petrol thing. Diesel could be deemed a light lubricant. Keeping a petrol tank full or close to it minimises the volume of air for the water to condense from notwithstanding the modern vehicle has a plastic tank and operates in a sealed environment.

I'll go with the gravel. I probably should sieve it to make sure all particles are big enough to not get stuck.
The pickup end isn't visible through either hole but it was fairly badly blocked at first which I managed to push a heavy guitar string through to clear it.
I need to make a cover for the sender hole . The sender is seized so I'll soak it in oxalic and see if it comes good though I'll be surprised.
And yeah I've seen some badly glooped up petrol tanks. A 505 one was so bad I replaced it and the intank pump. As was a BMW bike tank and that also took the pump with it.
I'd say this one must have had 95 or 98 in it as there wasn't the huge amount of treacle I'd seen in the other ones. I think it's standard unleaded 91 that's the very worst. Maybe the one with ethanol is even worse.

I'll go with the gravel. I probably should sieve it to make sure all particles are big enough to not get stuck.
Hi.

When you use the word “gravel”, for me this refers to a range of rounded and smooth pebbles.

I would use crushed rock as this has many edges and corners that would be superior for impacting and removing adhered deposits from the fuel tank.

Cheers

If the tanks not baffled a length of chain works well along with a cupful or two of old nuts and bolts.
I normally do motorcycle tanks. I fill them with vinegar for a couple of days, then drain half it out, drop in a cupful of nuts and bolts and shake the shit out of them. They come up spotless.

Not a random case happens often!
Even chiselling is fraught with danger.
I had a look and Worksafe QLD have an average of 27 "explosion" claims per annum. Obviously all these aren't from welding drums/tanks but also from welding and/or grinding near something that can go bang.

I guy I know (who was employed as a forklift driver) was bitching to anyone who would listen how he was unfairly dismissed.
Turned out he was busted welding the LPG bottle bracket on the back of the forklift.
One, it wasn't his job, and two the bottle was still in it.
Darwin award?

Hi.

When you use the word “gravel”, for me this refers to a range of rounded and smooth pebbles.

I would use crushed rock as this has many edges and corners that would be superior for impacting and removing adhered deposits from the fuel tank.

Cheers
The gravel I'm thinking of is what I got for doing a bit of concreting. It's sharp broken stuff looks like basalt, yes crushed. I call the rounded stuff river gravel which is nice embedded in paths and so on. So we are on the same page.
The tank is baffled and it's impossible to see it all without a borescope. Must get one of those cameras on a wire like they stick up bottoms. Good for inspections inside engines too. I think they are bluetooth to yer phone. Anyway that would probably see if there were any pieces left when it's done.
I may get around to it tomorrow. Will report back.

I did the gravel trick about 2 years ago. It nearly busted my guts, shaking the tank with gravel and water in it.