Clay Bar ahoy . . .

207cc Sport

Fellow Frogger
Gave the RCZ a top class external clean.

Wonder Wheels spray for the 19" wheels.

Then wash and leather shammy dry.

Then used the Maguires Clay Bar kit and gave the whole paint the clay bar touch. Amazing what crud comes off with the clay bar process.

Then applied AUTOGLYM Superior Resin Polish.

Buffed it off with an electric polisher. Used two polishing pads. Result? Show room finish. I wish I had done it earlier. Now every year.

Click on the pics:

DSCN0202.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0206.jpg

DSCN0207.jpg

Last edited:
Well it's coat could do with a polish, but I wouldn't be volunteering to wield the clay bar :D

Cheers

Alec

Still one of my all time favourite looking cars. Nice job. Getting bored with your isolation?

Hmm! Eskimos & Hottentots.

Personally, I haven't even washed a car in my life apart from attending to rust traps under the front guards of a Midget in the early 70s. Not laziness but simply different priorities & tastes.

cheers! Peter

washing cars is quite a ful time job dedication time plus money all just so we get a high resale value

Hmm! Eskimos & Hottentots.

Personally, I haven't even washed a car in my life apart from attending to rust traps under the front guards of a Midget in the early 70s. Not laziness but simply different priorities & tastes.

cheers! Peter

Love your comments. But, what colour is your car? A dirt dust brown.

The 4CVG & R8 are French racing blue, the Djet is blue with a lavender hint to it & the Moke is white. Of course they show dirt. The issue is if one is motivated to fuss about that. I'm not - YMMV. (I am, however, very motivated to fuss about how well they go around a corner on a country road as that is their raison d'être.)

As for resale value, that's not a motivation either as I've never sold a car. Mind you, were I to, I imagine that a pre-sale wash & polish would suffice for my purposes.

cheers! Peter

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the big deal about clay bars, anyway ?

I have a modern car with 2-pack paint and sometimes use a non-scratch pad on it, which gets off all the caked-on dirt and even the tiny amount of oxidized 2-pack paint which has developed.

And it ....never scratches.:confused:

:blush: After reading/watching something on using steel wool to get hard spots off glass, I decided to try it. Lacking any steel wool, I found a worn-out, soft, useless (for scouring saucepans) scotch-brite pad under the sink and tried that.

Quite successful at removing tar spots and squashed grasshoppers off glass, so I tried it on clear coat. Don't do it - no matter how soft and woolly the scouring pad might seem - just don't do it. :mad:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the big deal about clay bars, anyway ?

:confused:

I had been reading about clay bar clean for some time, so I decided to give it a go, and boy, does it work.

The bar is composed of clay and resin. The clay allows the slide, and the sticky resin picks up small objects on the paint. When you clay bar, you must keep the paint wet (lubricated).

Read all about it:

What Is a Clay Bar and How To Use Them For Best Car Detailing

This is the kit I used. Recommended.

https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/meguiars-smooth-surface-clay-kit.html