Classic Alpine Tour New Zealand.

Frans

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi All,

I have just received an email from the organisers that the Matra has been approved to be one of the 50 cars to do the Classic Alpine tour the end of March! That is the same tour that me and Ross did 2 years ago.

What does that mean? It means that me and my son are going to do the 3500km from Auckland to Queenstown and back. This excludes the actual Tour distance.

This will be exclusive models in cars and types. In the organiser's own words: The CAT, is aimed at attracting cars that fall into the general description of being of European origin (including British) covering the period post WW2 up until 1979 and being of limited production and unique design features. Cars of special interest and provenance outside the above criteria shall be considered .

I will follow this up as we approach the D day and fill you in of the prepping of the Matra as well.

A few shots from the last tour.

Attachments

• cpgs6573_orig.jpg
    cpgs6573_orig.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 275
  • cpgs6615_orig.jpg
    cpgs6615_orig.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 269
  • cpgs6146_orig.jpg
    cpgs6146_orig.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 265
  • cpgs6143_orig.jpg
    cpgs6143_orig.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 251
  • cpgs6136_orig.jpg
    cpgs6136_orig.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 252
  • cpgs6177-2_orig.jpg
    cpgs6177-2_orig.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 468
I had no idea N.Z. was that far....that is about Melbourne to Perth..MAYBE IT HAS BEEN STRETCHING LONGITUDINALLY OVER TIME.Hope you have a wonderful time.

I had no idea N.Z. was that far....that is about Melbourne to Perth..MAYBE IT HAS BEEN STRETCHING LONGITUDINALLY OVER TIME.Hope you have a wonderful time.

They zig zag from side to side, no straights in NZ. :D

Have a great time and adventure Frans and look forward to the pics.

Hi All,

This is just an update on the Classic Alpine Tour that was going to start tomorrow a week. That is right WAS going to start. It is now cancelled due to Toyota virus!!!

We have received an Email this morning that it is not going to happen. All the preparation on the car, the booking on the Ferry, the accommodation, the visits, everything needs to be cancelled.

We all are very disappointed but there is nothing we can do about it. The organisers said that they are looking at moving the Tour to November. We will have to wait and see.

Frans.

Hi All,

This is just an update on the Classic Alpine Tour that was going to start tomorrow a week. That is right WAS going to start. It is now cancelled due to Toyota virus!!!

We have received an Email this morning that it is not going to happen. All the preparation on the car, the booking on the Ferry, the accommodation, the visits, everything needs to be cancelled.

We all are very disappointed but there is nothing we can do about it. The organisers said that they are looking at moving the Tour to November. We will have to wait and see.

Frans.

so sorry to hear that Frans.it must be a huge let down.but i imagine lots of people will be experiencing similar situations.we may all be missing out on lots of activities for a while to come.im hoping our local supersprint will be going ahead this sunday.so far so good but things are changing every day so i wont be holding my breath.
cheers brian

Hi All,

Frans.
Sorry to hear this news Frans, with all sporting activities including motor sports in lock down its better to be cautious.

But all the time consuming planning can be time saver for November.

[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Some pretty scenery there.

And some pretty rich people too.

Is that a Type 35 Bugatti there?

Hi SZ, yes it is a 1926 Type 35B. Not sure what that means but back tracked the car and driver.

The black Ferrari is valued at $1.6 million. We were honored to be accepted in the R8 and again in the Matra among the high rollers.

Frans.

Sorry, I have things in my mind and not in AF.

Attachments

• cpgs6126_orig.jpg
    cpgs6126_orig.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 194
Hi All,

Frans.

Better luck next time Frans. The Bugatti is in very good company with the R8 and the Matra I'd add. Let's get this the right way around!!

Best wishes

Hi All,

Now that the CAT (Classic Alpine Tour) has been cancelled, I'll report on the VCAT (Virtual Classic Alpine Tour).

We left my place yesterday in the early morning hours and met up with Myles and Ross at the BP station on SH 1. Then we made a slight detour to New Plymouth to have a look at Lloyds newly restored A110 and have lunch there as well.

After lunch, we left and made our way to Wellington to board the Ferry late night. (10:30 pm). We got our cabins and had a 4-hour sleep overnight while cruising.

We arrived this morning at Picton and started making our way to Christchurch.

To be continued......

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 173
  • BoardingWell.jpg
    BoardingWell.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 167
  • Cruise.jpg
    Cruise.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 166
  • ArrPicton.jpg
    ArrPicton.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 166
  • BlueB.jpg
    BlueB.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 162
Like this story. Which car? Might even entice me to have a trip to NZ after the current crisis if we're still around that is.:)

Sunroof, remember this is just make-belief. But I and my son would have gone down there in the Matra. The photos in the first posts are from the previous Tour 2 years ago.

Attachments

• 20181003-_SPP2205.jpg
    20181003-_SPP2205.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 178