Citroen Xsara VTS ('02) - Stereo Stuff

The Oz

Tadpole
Hi all,

Well i am now the proud owner of a Xsara VTS coupe, and was wondering if anyone has got any advice/stories with regards to replacing the stock headunit and speakers.

Im not into any doof doof music, just want to replace the 5.25" and 6.5" speakers with something a little better, and get a mp3 capable head unit.

If anyone can shed any light on the subject (I have looked through a few forums but first hand Aussie experience is more helpful imo) that would be great.

Cheers :adrink:

The Oz said:
Hi all,

Well i am now the proud owner of a Xsara VTS coupe, and was wondering if anyone has got any advice/stories with regards to replacing the stock headunit and speakers.

Im not into any doof doof music, just want to replace the 5.25" and 6.5" speakers with something a little better, and get a mp3 capable head unit.

If anyone can shed any light on the subject (I have looked through a few forums but first hand Aussie experience is more helpful imo) that would be great.

Cheers :adrink:

Nice car:)

I was just about to post a similar threat.

I believe there is an issue with the car being multiplexed, however apparently there is an adapter.

Hey there, you got that gold VTS? The clutch turned out ok?

You should be able to change the headunit to an aftermarket one, but you would lose the radio display on the multifunction display as well as use of the remote stalk. Also since the VTS headunit is larger than a standard unit you may need some sort of face plate to cover the gaps above and below the after headunit.

There was a website somewhere which showed someone changing the headunit on a Mark 2 Xsara, but I cannot find the link. Might have the link on the home PC.

Troy.

I've got a JVC head unit in my Xsara.

Ran some power cable from the battery into the car via a grommet under the carpet. Put it through a splitter and sent one to my head unit and one to the boot for amps.

Have an MDF parcel shelf w/ 6X9's and 10" subwoofer. For the front I just clipped the wires to the original speakers and put my own in - also means that the small tweaters in the dash also work still.

Getting the RCA cables from the boot to the amp was a pain though - the carpet is stiffer than cardboard!

-- DJ

The Oz said:

If the headunit is the same as the RD3 units used in Pugs then keep it and patch into the CD line-in for your MP3 device. If you want to play MP3s burnt to cds then add a stacker that will play MP3s. The RD3 headunit uses iso connections so connecting a stacker won't be an issue.

ry205 said:
Nice car:)

I was just about to post a similar threat.

I believe there is an issue with the car being multiplexed, however apparently there is an adapter.

Changing the head unit won't affect the multiplex system in the Xsara as it's on its' own circuit.

TroyO said:
You should be able to change the headunit to an aftermarket one, but you would lose the radio display on the multifunction display as well as use of the remote stalk.

This is generally the case, but a few manufacturers sell adaptors (you'll probably have to ship it in from the UK), Clarion being one of them. I know Sony do, but I'd never touch Sony car audio.

Here's a link to Clarion's UK site with all their Citroen remote stalk adaptors.
http://www.clarion-eu.com/uk/Remote_Controls.23438+M54c46c4f281.4.html

Last edited:
Im not worried about the remote stalk, its pretty useless imo thanks to its positioning.

I would probably be looking at a straight swap for the HU after reading around. Does anyone with a Xsara VTS '02 onwards have a decent head unit they can recommend that was easy to install and filled the fascia pretty well?

The Oz said:
Im not worried about the remote stalk, its pretty useless imo thanks to its positioning.

I would probably be looking at a straight swap for the HU after reading around. Does anyone with a Xsara VTS '02 onwards have a decent head unit they can recommend that was easy to install and filled the fascia pretty well?

Hey, if you don't want the remote stalk i'll have it!

Blaupunkt make a good range of adapters for both the remote stalk and display as well. If you're used to the remote stalk, you'll really miss it when it's not there.

They've got a nice range of headunits as well - a bit pricier than jap models though

Hi mate, good to see another Cit owner in WA onboard! If you are after a great deal after a stereo contact Jason @ Alberts Joondalup/Midland on 93012125. Tell him Justin sent you & that you own a Cit. He currently offers Pug car club members of WA a great deal & he would be happy to extend it to any AF'er as well. Once you work out what you would be after he will easily beat any price, or offer some no nonsense, straight up advice. Good luck & nice choice! :cheers:

Ok guys,

I got a new deck installed today, and as expected, there is a pretty ugly gap. Has anyone got a link to a place in Australia that will sell the correct fascia replacement?

Thanks for the help! :cheers:

kermit said:
That looks bloody ugly IMO.
I agree simon, I dont really like much of (most) the modern jap headunits looks; granted great technology but crap looks!...
I like the look of Becker or Nakamichi headunits, plus they sound better too. - Chris

CHRI'S16 said:
I like the look of Becker or Nakamichi headunits, plus they sound better too
Same here Chris, but they are almost impossible to integrate with existing steering wheel/column remotes. I really wish that car audio manufacturers could just standise on a common interface.

Our Coupe has the external JBL amp but the connections to it aren't standard, well not any standard I've seen, so upgrading or adding additional amps to the system is a chore. But I'll get there. I haven't owned a car yet that I haven't been able to upgrade. With the Coupe I'm only going to change the backend. There is no point in changing the frontend.