Citroen DS4 2011 THP 200 starting issue

Guys I might have figured it out, check this out
I found this plug floating around when changing the rocker cover. Maybe this is my issue

First french car I've worked on, had no idea where it came from, usually Welsh plugs are on the side of the engine not inside on the block. Weird design

Yes, hence why it's so complicated lol. So what should I do now,test compression in cylinders first ?

Have plugged the whole in the middle where the plug popped out, water no longer leaks but I am getting water in cylinder 3 and 4 no matter how much I crank it over (with spark plugs removed). I assume its a head gasker or cracked head at this stage. Does anyone know where in Aus is the best place to get a VRS kit and or cylinder head for DS4 THP 200? Thanks

Time to start calling the local BMW and Mini workshops as cylinder head gasket kits seem to be available online from overseas?? Most cylinder head repairs places will advise if they have repaired or exchanged a head before.

Would this be the DS4 that was languishing on Gumtree for many months with a decent hit in the front near Canberra???

Some Berlingo heads have an internal welsh plug also and one on the outside to get at it. They can be displaced with the resulting massive coolant loss into the sump. I remember seeing one in this state and it survived the drama with prompt intervention, sump off for a clean, flush and new plugs. In this case, you may not know how long it's had water inside and whether it has any damaged bearings etc.. Did anything look rusty with the cover off?

How did you plug the hole? The plug in the video looks to have more depth than your typical core plug. Does water added just flow right into cylinders 3 and 4 under gravity alone? If the way you blocked off the hole is not the cause, then that sort of flow is usually a good indicator of a part of the head gasket missing in the middle. A head crack may not flood both cylinders together quickly.

Before you pull it all apart (which requires replacing quite a lot on reassembly), you might get value from consulting a mobile mechanic like Jason Hantos or Revive My Lion. You will want to remove the timing chain kit to remove the head and that has its own issues. I think there was a good step-by-step guide on the chain in the blogs at fcpeuro if you go looking.

I don't think Citroen offer the seals between the oil filter housing and the cooler. Only the seals between the housing and the block and a complete filter-cooler unit. Mini I think has the full set of seals. They do leak, but it is unlikely to cause water to run into only cylinders 3 and 4.

For a similar vehicle, there isn't a kit listed by Citroen. There are aftermarket kits and you could chance eBay / AliExpress etc.. Here is a head gasket diagram, but always get your parts supplier to confirm via your own VIN.

1637832881173.png

Correct PSA don't have a seperate oil cooler housing seal but available from BMW. Already bought this and installed but will be removed as I have an EP6 in the same condition. If I get a chance I'll put the camera into the cylinders to see where the coolant is entering from. But I'm guessing ours is a cracked head as coolant not filling cylinders under gravity😪

No photos yet or taken the cylinder head off yet and need to remove the top engine mount meaning engine not being held by much, but pulled Inlet manifold sensor off and coolant poured out!! Pulled off the Inlet manifold and looks like its melted so engine must have got very hot. So must have a gasket or head crack sucking in the coolant hence didn't want to run for much longer.

If your THP200 is in this condition I'd remove anything plastic and inspect, which would be thermostat hosing which I removed and was warped by heat, the coolant pipe work around the back of the engine, had gone brittle and broke at a joint i couldn't see. Value cover was warped. Exhaust manifold all the studs were loose!! Dip stick is stuck and can't be withdrawn so more plastic somewhere, oil filter housing melted on the inside including the pressure release valve. By taking the housing off i was able to work out how to replace the pressure release valve.

Good luck on the rebuild everything is available as spare parts

Well had time to wipe off the head from the EP6 1.6 turbo which had the head gasket go which had a 3 layered steel gasket but forgot to take a photo.
I knew coolant was getting into cylinder 2 and 3 but I think 4 was also an issue.
When I removed the inlet manifold it was full of coolant so there was quite serious damage somewhere.

I took some phone of the inlet port so that I have an example of inlets that need some serious blasting to get back in order.

The injectors didn't look in any better shape.

No cracking of the head was evident so this head may just need a good clean and carbon removal, a skim if warped which I'm guessing it will be know as not heard of steel gaskets giving up as this one did?

The re installation of the injectors seems to require Peugeot specific tool to replace the o rings so will just hold onto these as spares there's also a specific cleaning brush and solvent to use.

@dali What did your head look light after you opened yours up?

Attachments

• 20220116_224051.jpg
    20220116_224051.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 140
  • 20220116_224030.jpg
    20220116_224030.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220116_223946.jpg
    20220116_223946.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 108
  • 20220116_223841.jpg
    20220116_223841.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220116_223919.jpg
    20220116_223919.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20220116_224153.jpg
    20220116_224153.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220116_224209.jpg
    20220116_224209.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220116_224124.jpg
    20220116_224124.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 117
Dimi, I had a similar experience to yours with a 2013 BMW 118i that I bought knowing that the engine would not start. Coolant in the cylinders, corroded contacts in the coolant level sensor and brittle O-ring in the temperature sensor at the (inaccessible) rear of the motor. The head was warped 13 thou and the hardness was in the 70s so is scrap. The block face was warped 2 thou and the top ring in cyl 2 was seized. The engine had covered 93,000 km and had a reasonable service record. I bought a replacement engine that came from a 116i and at least the hardness was ok (>100), but it too had a seized top ring in cyl. 2. It supposedly had covered 65,000 km.