Citroen C5 x7 intermittent starting issues - RHH Engine

dcc236

Fellow Frogger
My RHH engine C5 x7 with 255,000 kms has an intermittent starting issue.
This car has always started within 1-2 sec of the starter motor kicking over.
6 weeks ago I changed the fuel filter. I then started having intermittent starting issues.
What I have found is that when the car is parked on a slight incline with nose up, it'll take 10 sec or more of the starter turning over, before she fires.
I've now had two circumstances where the car started and within 20 sec dies. It then took the 10 or more sec of the starter turning before it refired.
No obvious codes.
Any thoughts on what may be going on? I suspect a failing fuel pump, just not sure which one and the fuel filter change was just a coincidence in timing.

The rhh only has one fuel pump as such even though the low and high pressure pump are one unit I would be looking at the suction pump / primer does it start ok if primed? Did you prime the system after filter replacement failure to do this can damage the suction (low pressure) pump

Yes, I primed it. Checked it again and reprimed twice since. What are the symptoms of a failing fuel pump on these?

Also make sure you have bled all the air out of the fuel filter bowl before trying to start the car.

Cheers, Ken

Changed the fuel filter and o-ring again. Problem still exists.
Yesterday after a fuel fill, I climbed a steep hill. She totally cut out on me.
Got a check engine light. I now have two codes - P0087 and P2291.
Any ideas what these could be?

The first is rail pressure too low. The second is the same for the injectors.

I think the answer is in post #2. Wasn't it a great idea of Citroen to fit the suction and high pressure pumps together in the one unit. The lift and suction pumps always have much more work to do when you are going uphill as the fuel tank is much lower and more lift is required.

Cheers, Ken

It is't Citroen's idea. It's part of the Delphi system, and the lift/transfer rate is controlled by the ECU. You can read about the system n the Delphi Common Rail Manual.