citroen c5 gearbox problem

tom currie

Fellow Frogger
my c5 exclusive v6 has a distinct thump when it changes from 2nd gear to 1st when coming to a stop. the thump is hardly noticed when the car is cold but very noticable when it has warmed up to operating temperature. citroen say "this is a characteristic of the gearbox". has anyone had this experience. i know some diesel boxes had faulty valve blocks replaced under warranty but cit say mine is ok. this car has already had the torque converter replaced under warranty.

tom currie said:
my c5 exclusive v6 has a distinct thump when it changes from 2nd gear to 1st when coming to a stop. the thump is hardly noticed when the car is cold but very noticable when it has warmed up to operating temperature. citroen say "this is a characteristic of the gearbox". has anyone had this experience. i know some diesel boxes had faulty valve blocks replaced under warranty but cit say mine is ok. this car has already had the torque converter replaced under warranty.

Make sure they fix it while it's still under warranty. Quite often here we here of the soleniods being replaced in these gearboxs due to thumpy changes :confused: :confused:

There is a few here with C5 HDi that may be able to help (same gearbox possibly due to the torque of the oil burner :confused: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

hehe, the same issue is common with all Citroen transmissions.

I thought it was a feature implemented by Citroen to keep the driver awake... :joker:

Did the thumping start before the torque converter change or after?
If it was after, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that it has to be associated with that. Based on recent experiences, it may be interesting to see what kind of ATF is recommended by Citroen and which one was used by the repairer as they seem to want to fill 'em all out of the one can. Thumping, is usually a sign of something hanging in for too long a period, so that angle may be worthy of investigation; the service invoice should detail the ATF used.
If it was there before and the TC was changed as a possible solution, then it's back to the drawing board for thr dealer.

Alan S

c5 gearbox problems

Alan S said:
Did the thumping start before the torque converter change or after?
If it was after, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that it has to be associated with that. Based on recent experiences, it may be interesting to see what kind of ATF is recommended by Citroen and which one was used by the repairer as they seem to want to fill 'em all out of the one can. Thumping, is usually a sign of something hanging in for too long a period, so that angle may be worthy of investigation; the service invoice should detail the ATF used.
If it was there before and the TC was changed as a possible solution, then it's back to the drawing board for thr dealer.

Alan S

the thumping was there prior to the replacement of the torque converter. your reference to the gearbox oil makes a lot of sense as the problem only occurs when the gearbox is nice and hot. i'll follow up on this. come to think of it, the dealer replaced the oil at one of the first services and the torque converter was also replaced by them. maybe they are using a "one size fits all" oil as they are also dealers for other makes.

Could be a case for "BX/Xantia/XM transmissions revisited" as per another thread here:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25121

I would suggest you firstly check what was used (from your service records)and then check what should be used before making the approach as from what I hear, there's a few dealers getting very nervous about this issue since I lifted the lid on it so might tend to tell you waht they want you to hear as opposed to the facts of what has happened.

Alan S :2cents:

Talking about gearboxs, something interesting happened to me last night with the C4, in full automatic, the car hit 90km/h in the 2nd gear!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Alan S said:
Could be a case for "BX/Xantia/XM transmissions revisited" as per another thread here:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25121

I would suggest you firstly check what was used (from your service records)and then check what should be used before making the approach as from what I hear, there's a few dealers getting very nervous about this issue since I lifted the lid on it so might tend to tell you waht they want you to hear as opposed to the facts of what has happened.

Alan S :2cents:

As an aside, I spoke to the Service Manager of a Peugeot dealer and he told me that the use of the correct gearbox oil is critical. They use oil supplied by Peugeot in sealed containers. In general discussion, he told me that the oil change has to be done using the Peugeot or Citroen diagnostic computer. Interestingly, the Peugeot computer cannot be used on Citroen and vise versa. I am still trying to establish what oil was used in my car.

Could it be worth taking it to another Citroen dealer and asking for

(a) A second opinion/diagnosis of the problem

(b) A change of ATF fluid and ask for the drained fluid to be returned to you?

In the advent of incorrect fluid then being used, you should be able to get some idea based on it's colour and condition. (ie) In the boxes referred to previously, the fluid goes a very dark red almost black colour in a very short space of time.

Alan S

c5 gearbox problems

Alan S said:
Could it be worth taking it to another Citroen dealer and asking for

(a) A second opinion/diagnosis of the problem

(b) A change of ATF fluid and ask for the drained fluid to be returned to you?

In the advent of incorrect fluid then being used, you should be able to get some idea based on it's colour and condition. (ie) In the boxes referred to previously, the fluid goes a very dark red almost black colour in a very short space of time.

Alan S

Thanks Alan. I have been in touch with another Citroen dealer now. He was able to access the service details of my car on his computer (even though the servicing has been done by another dealer) and is going to try to find out what's happened at various services, including the replacement of the torque converter. So much for Privacy regulations, although that doesn't concern me in this case.

Tom