Citroen C5 2009 Suspension Pump leaking

Atholwood

Tadpole
Tadpole
I have owned this car since new and intend to own it "forever". It is leaking fluid from the suspension pump. I have been quoted $4500 to have a new pump fitted by an authorised Citroen service facility. I would prefer to reduce that cost. Is it feasible to install a used unit? Can used pumps be refurbished? I would appreciate advice.

I'm wondering if it can be fixed. A diagram is attached - zoom in to see it properly. Where is the leak?

There is an oil seal as seen here on the right.

pump-bloc.png

Attachments

• susp-pump.pdf
    467.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thank you for this. I don't know whether the unit can be serviced. There are many used pumps on ebay, but those could be trouble due to their age. I am trying to source a new pump at a more reasonable price.

I need to have this fixed professionally. It sounds like I need to buy a new pump, or to refurbish the existing unit if that is possible. Does anyone know if there is such a firm? Otherwise I am back to buying a new one.

I know that some people have bought and fitted 2nd hand units with no problems. Apparently it's not too difficult. Requires work from above and via the right front wheel arch with the liner removed.

I’ve overhauled the pump on my 2011 C5X7. This constituted basically a strip, clean and armature freshen-up (from memory). All good.

The easiest solution would be to install a good used unit, I would have thought (from overseas perhaps).

The application of low-pressure to the reservoir to enable priming the pump when is fitted, is the key.

Regards,
Rhys

I assume you didn't discharge the accumulator #10 in the diagram a few posts up.
A few months ago the need to apply a little pressure to prime it was discussed in a similar thread where the pump initially wold not work.

I assume you didn't discharge the accumulator #10 in the diagram a few posts up.
A few months ago the need to apply a little pressure to prime it was discussed in a similar thread where the pump initially wold not work.
I can’t recall whether I tampered with the accumulator (but probably not). My fault was predominantly electrical, so I did as little as I thought constructive - to effect a repair.

The priming is sufficiently important, that there is benefit in repeating it at every occasion.

I need to have this fixed professionally. It sounds like I need to buy a new pump, or to refurbish the existing unit if that is possible. Does anyone know if there is such a firm? Otherwise I am back to buying a new one.
Be aware that these suspension pump assys are programmed at the factory to suit the particular vehicle type and if a spare is ordered it will be supplied only on giving the factory a Vin No. There are many variations of this assy some 20+ I believe so just buying a s/h unit and fitting it is unlikely to solve your problem, unless the donor vehicle is absolutely IDENTICAL to yours.

You can remove the unit on the top of the pump and fit your unit to the replacement and it will work. also as has been pointed out by in other replies priming the pump is critically important. Failure to prime can easily cause motor burnout as the system will keep the motor running until service pressure is attained which won't happen without priming.

Leakage from the pump itself in my experience is not a common occurrence and a very careful inspection may reveal a hose or tank problem, tanks do split not always catastrophically by having the suspension on high and then selecting low without removing the cap on the fluid reservoir beforehand.

I have had 6 C5's and have never had a suspension pump failure but had one leak and one I bought had the suspension pump motor and electrical connector destroyed by overheating caused by buy lack of prime.

Given the new pump cost please do everything possible to ascertain that is the pump as there is really only one likely exit point on the pump for fluid and that is the shaft oil seal assuming the tank and hose are ok and this seal is replaceable.

Please keep the forum advised as to progress.