Citroen C4 rear wiper and demister

FiveSoFar

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Some 'guru' thoughts would be appreciated, please!
Anyone out there with any ideas about THIS idiosyncrasy from my 2005 C4 SX hatch?
(Maybe NOT only when raining), rear wiper seems to work as normal (??) when using the stalk switch.
Stalk switch "ON" gives a single (there and back) wipe of the back glass every ~10 seconds.
With rear wiper "OFF", a push of the demister button (puts on the little light beside the button, but instead of heating the window glass) starts the wiper sweeping the glass. Unlike the stalk switch, which gives one wipe (counter-clockwise and return), pushing the demister button causes continual wiping for either 6 or 7 repeats, and then the wiper blade stops in a place where it would not usually stop! Turning the stalk switch ON while the demister is also ON, then repeats the many-times-sweeping, to finally rest in a different 'wrong' place.
It looks as though the normal demisting function does not occur (despite the light being illuminated) while this is happening!
SO, would it seem that somewhere some wires are crossed, or frayed or corroded and shorting? I'd look for a fuse if the wiper didn't operate as it is, but it seems that current isn't necessarily the problem.
In my search for an answer, I found a similar comment on FixYa, so it might be an idiosyncrasy common to more vehicles than just mine???
Thanks for any ideas! Jez

(In case it might matter, it is a 1.6 (TU5JP4 manual trans) C4.