Citroen c3 2006

veels

Tadpole
Hi, my wifes car needs 2 front shock absorbers (strutts). Anybody, who knows where to get them new or 2nd hand
Thanks. Veels

Check out EAI at Thornleigh, NSW. It is only a courier away. Have your VIN ready. https://www.eai.net.au/

The strut separates at the bottom by forcing apart the hub carrier with a twisting motion on the split under the housing. Note the position of the cap at the top before removal of the strut. You'll need spring compressors. If you can't find a specific C3 how-to, the DS3 is similar.

If it's just noisy, check out the drop links and the bearings at the top of the springs.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will tell the mechanic. He showed me how wobbly it is on the top of the struds. He thinks maybe the bearing need to be replaced only. It is realy rattling when driving.
Thanks again
Veels

The ball bearing at the top of the strut can get corroded or take in dust. The strut has a tiny wobble soon after at the top but the knock is loud. Ask about it, but it may be a dealer-only item.

The ball bearing at the top of the strut can get corroded or take in dust. The strut has a tiny wobble soon after at the top but the knock is loud. Ask about it, but it may be a dealer-only item.
Thanks for the information.
question: the car has done 150000 km. The last set of tires where 205/50R16
The information in the door panel is 195/50R16. Would that 10mm more affect the deterioration of the ball bearing on top of the strut ?

I doubt it. I had a left side strut bearing (road shoulder side) go at 50,000 in a DS3. This car has the same setup as yours but is sports car stiffer.

On disassembly it was full of dirt, so wear wasn't surprising. You can move the races only a little in your hand, but the knock when driving was very loud.

This is a strut with cap (from a wrecker's website). The bearing goes between the spring and cap, to allow the strut to steer as the cap supports the body. The hole in the cap is for alignment when replacing. The plain bottom goes into the hole in the hub carrier.
strut.jpg

Last edited: