Citin2024 Devonport

Ceenine

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I have just returned my residence in Devonport having just attended the first night of our annual Citroen get together. This year it is Tasmania’s turn to host the event and Devonport was selected as the location to be the centre of festivities. I must say that the coming together of all models of the marque and more importantly of their owners from every state (maybe territory) is pretty significant for me and I know for all those who have spent serious dosh getting here. Families are spending many days before and after the official event travelling about in fortunately balmy autumn weather with only one day of little rainfall to interupt activites so far. It is great that not only motor cyclists from interstate, and there are huge numbers, are not the only ones currently enjoying the twisty bits linking one end of the island to the other.

It is the 90th year anniversary of the Traction model of the marque which gave way to the highly innovative and successful DS model in 1955. Both models are well represented this year and with other models total over eighty cars attending the event. I wonder if we will see similar roll ups of makes in fifty years time, especially electric ones. I suggest not.

I can feel your enthusiasm. It is a pity the serial Australian agents for these characterful and innovative cars cannot understand OR harness the enthusiasm that still exists decades after the end of production of the now classic models. Slogans such as "Advance and be recognized" hold more truth than "Creative technology" especially when the technologie is shared.
What does Citroen stand for now ? Euroboxes ??? Legislated into standadised averageness.
I fear for the continued availability of Citroen in this country.
The legendary writer LJK Setright mentioned in a history of the big Citroens that they were a response to the socio/political needs of their eras. The modern digitally dominated world is not conducive to intellectually designed human scaled and interactive vehicles. Consider the electric new Ami ... is that the way we want to go ? A vehicle totally suited to its intended city environment it may be, but gimmee an old school eccentric Citroen any day. ... even the paint colours available were glorious. Define modern design "signatures" and what do you get ? Over styled Darth Vader fronts in black or charcoal grey. A gaggle of brightly coloured 2CVs will gladden many hearts .. and a well driven one will still be hard to catch over country roads.