Chrysler Australia's French Connection @ Tonsley Park 25/2/2018

Simon

1000+ Posts
A couple of quick snaps from today's Chrysler event at the old Tonsley Park factory.

A selection of Keswick and Tonsley Park assembled Simcas, and a KB Centura.

The first owner of that Centura GL owner must have liked the green paint so much, they chose the delete vinyl roof option. I'm sure Chrysler must have got a huge discount on that colour!

Attachments

• DSC00740.JPG
    DSC00740.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC00741.JPG
    DSC00741.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC00735.JPG
    DSC00735.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 483
A mate had a metallic blue centura that had a solid roof that was also the same model, so they may have been more common.

I have fond memories of riding in the back of Mum's Sherwood Green VJ Valiant Regal as a kid. She pulled out into traffic in the wet on the school run and the 265 Hemi with LSD fish tailed down the road. No wonder I have hoon tendencies :D

Like this one but with the optional sport steelies :cool:

VK-valiant.jpg

A mate had a metallic blue centura that had a solid roof that was also the same model, so they may have been more common.

That would have looked good, as it was a nice shade of blue that was used.

Just imagine if it was a Fire Ball 318! :)

My eldest brother (then 16) was giving my other brother and I a demo of his newly purchased ex-cop CL Valiant with 318 doing flat out acceleration from stand still in the Firle Kmart car park one night. What made it even more exciting was when the accelerator got stuck :eek: He killed the ignition and pulled it up to a stop. Kids :roflmao:

The days when V8s, and ex-G cars in particular, were cheaper than a "sensible" car :)

But Firle carpark was like that, a dragstrip, even if a bit undulating. Fun times, and you lived to tell the tale! :)

My eldest brother (then 16) was giving my other brother and I a demo of his newly purchased ex-cop CL Valiant with 318 doing flat out acceleration from stand still in the Firle Kmart car park one night. What made it even more exciting was when the accelerator got stuck :eek: He killed the ignition and pulled it up to a stop. Kids :roflmao:

Attachments

• DSC00742.JPG
    DSC00742.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 375
The days when V8s, and ex-G cars in particular, were cheaper than a "sensible" car :)

But Firle carpark was like that, a dragstrip, even if a bit undulating. Fun times, and you lived to tell the tale! :)

Not sure how I survived half the things we got up to :roflmao:

Yep, that's the car. Complete with armstrong steering, holes in the A-pillar trim for their map lights etc. His car was sold with the fake chrome wire wheels to disguise the fact it was a police car :deal:

Back in the day, a friend had an ex SA police V8 charger here in NSW. It had the same front end as the blue one, but was a metallic green colour. I can’t recall if it was the same colour as your mum’s JMan or a shade darker perhaps?

I find that strange too, as the colour appears to have been used on everything from VJ to CL, and introducing a new colour palette with the CM when it disappeared from the range - hence my thought they must have got a good discount :)

Pics: VK Regal, CL Regal and CL Charger.

Attachments

• Green VK Valiant.jpg
    Green VK Valiant.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Green CL Valiant.jpg
    Green CL Valiant.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 378
  • Green CL Charger.jpg
    Green CL Charger.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 292
The Simca 90A [blue] pictured earlier. I wonder whose brain wave/fade it was to paint the ghastly side trim.
The Montlhery trim that was available at the time was nicer.

I find that strange too, as the colour appears to have been used on everything from VJ to CL, and introducing a new colour palette with the CM when it disappeared from the range - hence my thought they must have got a good discount :)

Pics: VK Regal, CL Regal and CL Charger.

Could they be renaming the same colour to make the range appear “fresh”

Perhaps a bit like is liquid yellow really the same as victory yellow?

The Simca 90A [blue] pictured earlier. I wonder whose brain wave/fade it was to paint the ghastly side trim.
The Montlhery trim that was available at the time was nicer.

Poor Simcas, no favourable comments :)

Even overheard on the day, "Who let those pieces of so'n so's in here?"

Could they be renaming the same colour to make the range appear “fresh”

Perhaps a bit like is liquid yellow really the same as victory yellow?

That’s what I thought too. But I’ve upset Dr Google, it is no help to find the factory issued Chrysler colour selectors on line for the required period. And I’m not too sure on that Unique Cars colour chart, as so many Tonsley made Chrysler cars were that colour. They could have only just changed the name. As it seemed like it was on every second GC/GD Galant, and I recall a school trip to Chryslers when they were making VKs pre-release, there was a whole batch that colour - which is why it sticks in my mind :)

Well, I'll pass comment on the Simcas then. My recollection is that Arondes were quite surprising wieldy (prosaic underpinnings but that didn't stop Mks 1 & 11 Cortinas being a good fang). They also had very large & very effective drum brakes.

In comparison, the Centura was a bit of a barge especially if misfitted with the hemi six.

cheers! Peter

These things actually appeal to me. I drove a roughy on a farm as a kid and that "Rush" motor was a hoot! They have the added bonus of the interior smells like a Dauphine interior :approve:

I'd be happy to have one of the 2 door jobbies :tongue:

Simca_Aronde_P60_Monaco.jpg

My dad had one, at the time I was too young to remember it, but he always repeated the the advertising catch line, Some car this Simca....

simca.jpg

How could you go past a car with so many upmarket features? Lay-back seats... Sorry, Luxurious lay-back seats Woo Hoo

Later on he saw the light and moved onto Peugeots.

Dano