Check your virus status

GreenBlood

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

Countless times over the last month or so I have received a virus alert via Norton Anti Virus, the offending virus is W32.Klez.H@mm. I beleived by dealing with it through Norton that everything was 'A' OK but whilst my system is clean I am still a victim of this insidious nasty, the host of the virus is sending email using my address as the sender or 'from'.

I have notified a few people where I have recognised the sender only to be notified that there system is clean, i.e. the virus is not residing on there machine,

This is a breif explanation I picked up on the Symantec site (Norton AV)
W32.Klez.H@mm

Because this worm uses a randomly chosen address that it finds on an infected computer as the "From:" address, numerous cases have been reported in which users of uninfected computers received complaints that they sent an infected message to someone else.

For example, Linda Anderson is using a computer that is infected with W32.Klez.H@mm. Linda is not using a antivirus program or does not have current virus definitions. When W32.Klez.H@mm performs its emailing routine, it finds the email address of Harold Logan. It inserts Harold's email address into the "From:" portion of an infected message that it then sends to Janet Bishop. Janet then contacts Harold and complains that he sent her an infected message, but when Harold scans his computer, Norton AntiVirus does not find anything--as would be expected--because his computer is not infected.

I have received a complaint from someone to the extent that I was spamming them and had been reported to my ISP, on checking my sent emails there was nothing sent from my machine that I did not know about. Apparently this virus can be sending messages and/or attachments as though they were coming from you.

So you guys, get the latest virus definitions and do a system check, let's get it out of the aussiefrogs loop. If your system is infected Symantec have a download to deal with it.

Cheers
Chris

I must have had 7 emails over the weekend sent to quarantine. They have a different subject & sender each time.
I use Norton Corporate & the last release was 15/5/2002 rev 4.